• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Impeding traffic violation

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Krysick

I recently got a ticket in California for impeding traffic. I was going to exit on a freeway entrance ramp so I slowed down. After I slowed to make the exit I realized that it was the wrong exit, so I continued to the next freeway entrance ramp. I didn't realize that there was a cop behind him and she quickly pulled me over. She asked me for my driver's license then went back to her car. She came back with a ticket and told me that she was going to give me a citation for impeding traffic. 22400 (a)

The VC states:
22400. (a) No person shall drive upon a highway at such a slow speed as to impede or block the normal and reasonable movement of traffic, unless the reduced speed is necessary for safe operation, because of a grade, or in compliance with law.
Now, I know that no point will be added to my driving record for this ticket. But the fine is around $150. I know it's not much but I just don't feel like I deserved getting the ticket.

I want to contest it. Now, can't I argue that I slowed down because I was going to make a safe exit onto the freeway. I even had my blinker on. Wouldn't this fall into "Unless reduced speed is necessary for safe operation"?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I recently got a ticket in California for impeding traffic. I was going to exit on a freeway entrance ramp so I slowed down. After I slowed to make the exit I realized that it was the wrong exit, so I continued to the next freeway entrance ramp. I didn't realize that there was a cop behind him and she quickly pulled me over. She asked me for my driver's license then went back to her car. She came back with a ticket and told me that she was going to give me a citation for impeding traffic. 22400 (a)

The VC states:

Now, I know that no point will be added to my driving record for this ticket. But the fine is around $150. I know it's not much but I just don't feel like I deserved getting the ticket.

I want to contest it. Now, can't I argue that I slowed down because I was going to make a safe exit onto the freeway. I even had my blinker on. Wouldn't this fall into "Unless reduced speed is necessary for safe operation"?
No, because you slowed down and then PASSED the exit. From your own post, it sure sounds like you were impeding traffic.

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
Exits are clearly marked well in advance. I don't see there being any excuse for having doubts about whether you were at the right one. Seems like maybe you were not paying attention.

Zigner

I recently got a ticket in California for impeding traffic. I was going to exit on a freeway entrance ramp so I slowed down. After I slowed to make the exit I realized that it was the wrong exit, so I continued to the next freeway entrance ramp.
I was going to enter a freeway, not exit. There were no other signs.
Right - you were going to exit from one freeway to enter another...

Yeesh, word games will get you nowhere.

Krysick

Right - you were going to exit from one freeway to enter another...

Yeesh, word games will get you nowhere.
Oops, what I meant in the first quote that you posted was "I was going to exit ONTO the freeway entrance ramp.

I was on a regular street.

Now that we got that clear. Let the advice start ROOOOOOOOLLING in. GOGOGO

Zigner

Oops, what I meant in the first quote that you posted was "I was going to exit ONTO the freeway entrance ramp.

I was on a regular street.

Now that we got that clear. Let the advice start ROOOOOOOOLLING in. GOGOGO
The answer doesn't change...

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
You keep using the word exit when you mean entrance.

Why would you pass one entrance ramp to get on at another? Same freeway or different freeway? And there was no signage telling you which freeway you were about to enter?

I_Got_Banned

What speed were travelling at between the exit/entrance (or whatever you want to call it) that you though you wanted to take (then you realized it wasn't) and the exit/entrance (or whatever you want to call it) that you wanted to take? And what was the speed limit on that segment of the roadway?

Zigner

What speed were travelling at between the exit/entrance (or whatever you want to call it) that you though you wanted to take (then you realized it wasn't) and the exit/entrance (or whatever you want to call it) that you wanted to take? And what was the speed limit on that segment of the roadway?
Speed limit doesn't matter, per the code section she was cited with ;)

Krysick

K now we're getting somewhere.

The road I was traveling in had a speed limit of 35 MPH. On the ticket the officer wrote that I was traveling at 15 MPH. But I was going at least 20-25 though.

I'm thinking of making this my defense:

I slowed down my vehicle in order to properly enter the freeway entrance ramp. I even had my blinker on and everything, but once I realized that it was the wrong ramp I took off my blinker and started heading towards the correct one, which was only a couple of feet away. During that time is when I got pulled over by officer soandso.

What you guys think?

tldr: I was slowed down to make a safe entrance onto the freeway.

I_Got_Banned

The road I was traveling in had a speed limit of 35 MPH. On the ticket the officer wrote that I was traveling at 15 MPH. But I was going at least 20-25 though.

I'm thinking of making this my defense:

I slowed down my vehicle in order to properly enter the freeway entrance ramp. I even had my blinker on and everything, but once I realized that it was the wrong ramp I took off my blinker and started heading towards the correct one, which was only a couple of feet away. During that time is when I got pulled over by officer soandso.

What you guys think?

tldr: I was slowed down to make a safe entrance onto the freeway.
So officer soandso goes into court, testifies that she witnessed you going approximately 15mph on a 35mph roadway, with cars zipping around you... So she pulled you over and cited you.

You on the other hand, argue "but I was going 20 to 25 (still 10-15mph slower that other traffic) AND I had my blinker on"...

Which version do you think the judge is going to believe?

Oh... And the reason I underlined and bolded the word "slower" was to suggest that it might be easy to infer that you were interfering with the normal and reasonable movement of other traffic on that same roadway...

Zigner

Speed limit does actually matter since it is compared against my mph.
It only matters if you are claiming that you were driving the speed limit and the other drivers were driving FASTER than the speed limit.

Krysick

So officer soandso goes into court, testifies that she witnessed you going approximately 15mph on a 35mph roadway, with cars zipping around you... So she pulled you over and cited you.

You on the other hand, argue "but I was going 20 to 25 (still 10-15mph slower that other traffic) AND I had my blinker on"...

Which version do you think the judge is going to believe?

Oh... And the reason I underlined and bolded the word "slower" was to suggest that it might be easy to infer that you were interfering with the normal and reasonable movement of other traffic on that same roadway...
The point I'm trying to make was that I slowed down to make a turn.

Slowing down is the proper and safe way to make a turn. Correct?

Can I still get cited if that was the case?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">