• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Improper Issuance of Parking Ticket

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Michigan

This should be a pretty interesting question to answer for a sharp legal eagel. About a month ago, I received an improper parking ticket from a disgruntled parking attendant who apparently was sore because I knew that I received a lucky break from paying to park for once. When I went to work one morning, I decided to park at a space among other automobiles where construction was taking place to install parking meters. The spaces were clearly open and available to park. There were no signs of any kind that prohibited parking in the spaces. However, the attendant issued a parking ticket on my car citing "exceeded time limit." If there were no signs to prohibit parking or no parking meter to measure time of parking, the parking attendant had no business ticketing my car. If I couldn't put coins in the meter to park because there was no meter, and there were spaces to park my car (without signs prohibiting it), there was free parking that day. Will I win in court? :mad:

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Michigan

This should be a pretty interesting question to answer for a sharp legal eagel. About a month ago, I received an improper parking ticket from a disgruntled parking attendant who apparently was sore because I knew that I received a lucky break from paying to park for once. When I went to work one morning, I decided to park at a space among other automobiles where construction was taking place to install parking meters. The spaces were clearly open and available to park. There were no signs of any kind that prohibited parking in the spaces. However, the attendant issued a parking ticket on my car citing "exceeded time limit." If there were no signs to prohibit parking or no parking meter to measure time of parking, the parking attendant had no business ticketing my car. If I couldn't put coins in the meter to park because there was no meter, and there were spaces to park my car (without signs prohibiting it), there was free parking that day. Will I win in court? :mad:
There's really no telling. Was there a sign at the entrance to the lot? Does the city have a time restriction (etc etc etc).
What exact code section were you cited with violating?

No Takers

I am quite sure that I posted under the proper heading for parking tickets, at least I thought so, coulda made a mistake. Well, it's clear that I'm on own fighting this ticket. No one could really say if I'll win dismissal of the ticket. I think so. Thanks anyway.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I am quite sure that I posted under the proper heading for parking tickets, at least I thought so, coulda made a mistake. Well, it's clear that I'm on own fighting this ticket. No one could really say if I'll win dismissal of the ticket. I think so. Thanks anyway.
I find it amazing that you are unwilling to offer up the MOST IMPORTANT piece of information, as I asked for before.
Good luck...take your lucky socks!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">