• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Improper Lane Change - No Accident & Not Speeding

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jonathancox

What is the name of your state? South Carolina

In Greenville SC, the busiest road with the worst traffic is Woodruff Road. I was traveling on Woodruff road below the speed limit (at most 10 miles per hour). I approached an opening in traffic, signaled, and immediately moved over in to the left lane (in front of an unmarked highway patrolman). I did not slam on the brakes, cause an accident, or endanger anyone’s life. The patrolman immediately turned the lights on and motioned me in the center lane. He claimed that I did an improper lane change because I did not signal for at least 15 feet. He claims that the reason I could ‘squeeze my car in front of him’ was because he wasn’t following too closely to the vehicle and when I ‘squeezed in’, I caused him (the patrolman) to follow too closely to me. I feel like I was picked out and discriminated against because I drive an expensive convertible sports car (2004 Mustang GT). I wasn’t doing anything that a million other people do not do every day on this horrible road.

FYI… I have a clean traffic record. Last speeding citation was 7 years ago. 60 (I think) in a 45 (Interstate 85N @ approx 5:00 AM in the morning). Last accident was 17 years ago. I hit another car in the back traveling at less than 20 MPH.

I was wearing my seatbelt, had my valid drivers license, proof of insurance, and registration.

Is there anything I can do to fight this?

Admittedly guilty so here is what I would do.

Go to court and plead guilty, but explain to the judge all that happened and that you have a clean record. If the judge is feeling lenient they may just make you pay a fine and dismiss the points. But on the other side if the judge doesn't care then you also wind up paying court costs. There is a post one of the Sr. members here always puts down on how to represent yourself in dress and manner in court so I would read that if you decide to go to court.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">