• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Improper Lane Change ticket in GA / cop did not sign ticket

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

DRComedy

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NY

Hi,

I was driving in Columbus, GA when I got into a car accident. I was trying to get over one lane to the left. I checked to see if I was clear & I had my directional on. The pick-up truck hit my two door Civic on the driver side behind the door. The other driver never braked nor honked. We called 911. Twenty minutes later a police officer arrived. He proceeded to give me a ticket for improper lane change GA 40- 6 48. I asked him why he was giving me a ticket & he said GA law states he has to give somebody a ticket when more then one vehicle is involved. I said well how do you know it's my fault you weren't even here. He said from the damage. I said you can't tell from that. That's for the insurance to figure out. My car was more then half way in the lane when the drivers passenger bumper hit my car.

He also failed to sign the ticket or ask me to sign the ticket. Is the ticket dismissable on these grounds?

Can I fight this ticket through the mail in GA?

He also filled out the police report wrong. He asked me what happened & I said we did not see each other. He wrote I did not see the other car. As I stated above it's pretty clear that the other car did not see me either. Also the diagram that he drew is wrong. His diagram shows the other car hitting the front of my car by the driver door which from the damage is clearly wrong.

Note to self: Don't get in an accident in GA when you're from NY with an ambulance corp member from GA.

Thank you in advance.

The Occultist

If he was in the lane you were merging into, he is not legally required to see you or take any preventative measures to avoid a collision with you. You, merging into the lane, are fully responsible for ensuring that you can enter the new lane without a collision, which you failed to do; you are at fault for this accident.

As for the signing of the ticket, attempting to raise a fuss over this will only delay the inevitable; this will not ultimately result in the dismissal of your citation.

Seek the aid of a traffic attorney.

He also filled out the police report wrong. He asked me what happened & I said we did not see each other. He wrote I did not see the other car. As I stated above it's pretty clear that the other car did not see me either.
False. I myself have been in the same situation as the person you collided with. He is not under any obligation to brake, speed up, let you in, honk, swerve, or anything else. Your turn signals do not give you the right of way. You changing lanes does not give you the right of way.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">