• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Improper Passing Ticket

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Santana29014

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New Jersey

I currently received a ticket in the state of New Jersey for improper passing, but the ticket has the wrong exit number from the highway but the right street name. Is it possible for the charges to be drop due to the location error? I also have never got a ticket before.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New Jersey

I currently received a ticket in the state of New Jersey for improper passing, but the ticket has the wrong exit number from the highway but the right street name. Is it possible for the charges to be drop due to the location error? I also have never got a ticket before.
The street is right. Do you intend to testify that the location where you committed the violation is listed wrong?

Santana29014

The street is right. Do you intend to testify that the location where you committed the violation is listed wrong?
Yes, correct i do intend to testify the location is incorrect on the ticket. Just want to know if it's possible the charge to be dropped.

Zigner

Yes, correct i do intend to testify the location is incorrect on the ticket. Just want to know if it's possible the charge to be dropped.
Let me say this differently then.

Do you intend to go in to court and testify that the location where you broke the law was at that street, but the exit number was different?

In other words, do you really intend to go in to court and admit to the violation?

Santana29014

Let me say this differently then.

Do you intend to go in to court and testify that the location where you broke the law was at that street, but the exit number was different?

In other words, do you really intend to go in to court and admit to the violation?
Yes, i intend to say i committed the violation, but state the charges should be drop due to improper information on the ticket. Or should i approach the situation differently?

Zigner

Yes, i intend to say i committed the violation, but state the charges should be drop due to improper information on the ticket. Or should i approach the situation differently?
So, your plan is to go in to court and say "Your Honor, I did this and I did it right at the Main Street exit, just like the officer wrote, but he made a mistake on the exit number, so I should be let off the hook."

Can you really not see just how bad of an idea this strategy is?

Santana29014

So there's no way out of it regardles of the improper location? Or should I just deny the whole thing?

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
You're not addressing the violation at all here. If you're admitting you did wrong then you might as well pay the fine. It's doubtful that your location argument will get you very far.

You may want to consult with an attorney to better gauge what your chances are.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">