• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Improper Race on CT Complaint Ticket - Failure to obey red light

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

NY-student

I am a New York resident. I was visiting relatives in Connecticut and went through a yellow light and was pulled over for failure to obey a red light.

There was no shoulder and it was a busy street, the Boston Post Road rte 1. I turned on my hazard lights and went a block and pulled into a bus stop lane. The officer was extremely angry that I didn't stop immediately. He was very rude too.

I didn't argue with him. Aftewards I noticed that on the Complaint Ticket he had written "w" for raise. My parents are South Asian, and I am clearly not white.

I sent in a "not guilty" response on the ticket and have a date to "discuss your case with a member of the office of the state's attorney...if the matter is not resolved at this court appearance, a future date for a court trial will be assigned"

Two issues:

1) What is the significance of the race box and the fact that the officer marked it incorrectly?

2) How best should I proceed? What will the member of the office of the State's attorney offer me for a deal? Should I take it to a court trial?

ANY advice/info would be greatly appreciated!

JETX

NY-student said:
1) What is the significance of the race box and the fact that the officer marked it incorrectly?
None. It is simply a method for a jurisdiction to track the race of cited drivers... if they want to.

2) How best should I proceed?
Depends. If you are going to plead guilty, do so. If you are going to try to offer a defense, do so.

What will the member of the office of the State's attorney offer me for a deal?
I have submitted your question to Madam Tashia, the world renowned internet for fortune teller. I will let you know when she comes back with a guess.

Should I take it to a court trial?
See above.

NY-student

JETX said:
None. It is simply a method for a jurisdiction to track the race of cited drivers... if they want to.
I did some checking and CT is one of two states that have an anti-racial profiling law. That is why race is on the ticket, it is a state law. However it defeats the purpose if the officer marks "w" for people are not white.

JETX said:
I have submitted your question to Madam Tashia, the world renowned internet for fortune teller. I will let you know when she comes back with a guess.

See above.
I thought someone on the board might know what is typically offered. I assume the State Attorney's office doesn't want to take every ticket to trail or that is all they would ever do.

S

seniorjudge

A: None.

2) How best should I proceed? What will the member of the office of the State's attorney offer me for a deal? Should I take it to a court trial?

A: If you think you are not guilty, ask for a jury trial. (I've seen juries let off guilty people; you never know, it might work.) If you think you are guilty but deserve a break and have an excellent driving record, negotiate with the prosecutor.

S

seniorjudge

NY-student said:
I did some checking and CT is one of two states that have an anti-racial profiling law. That is why race is on the ticket, it is a state law. However it defeats the purpose if the officer marks "w" for people are not white.
The ONLY solution to this problem is for this country to set up racial courts like they used to have in South Africa where folks could go and get their racial identity assigned.

Last edited:

qcxlvr1

I am assuming you have a NY license. Out of state convictions are not recorded on NY state licenses; therefore, you will not receive any points or notations on your driving record regardless of what happens with this ticket.

It is possible you will be offered a plea arrangement. I think the error with the race box doesn't have much of a bearing on the case. If you are dissatisfied with how the officer treated you, contact his commanding officer and or internal affairs bureau and make the appropriate complaint.

NY-student

qcxlvr1 said:
I am assuming you have a NY license. Out of state convictions are not recorded on NY state licenses; therefore, you will not receive any points or notations on your driving record regardless of what happens with this ticket.

It is possible you will be offered a plea arrangement. I think the error with the race box doesn't have much of a bearing on the case. If you are dissatisfied with how the officer treated you, contact his commanding officer and or internal affairs bureau and make the appropriate complaint.
Are you sure about the points not transfering to NY? I do have in a NY license. Where could I check that, the NY DMV website?

NY-student

seniorjudge said:
The ONLY solution to this problem is for this country to set up racial courts like they used to have in South Africa where folks could go and get their racial identity assigned.
It can be hard for an officer to catagorize someone's race, however in my case I have *NEVER* been mistaken for white. He also had my license giving my name which would be another indicator that I am not of European descent.

What troubles me is that this is a very rich town in Connecticut that has a history of racial discrimination. I wonder how many times the officers err on the side of "w" when deciding what to put on the race box of the ticket.

qcxlvr1

NY-student said:
Are you sure about the points not transfering to NY? I do have in a NY license. Where could I check that, the NY DMV website?
It's a well known fact. New York is the only state that will not record out of state convictions/points unless they are drug or alcohol involved or occur in certain Canadian areas.

You can confirm this information on nysdmv.com.

NY-student

Final Update

NY-student said:
Excellent, thanks for the info and the link! I'm assuming that if NY doesn't record out of state violations that my insurance company won't hear about it, and possibly raise my rate?
Went to court and met with a representative from the DA's office who said the following:

1) It isn't enough that the light was yellow when you went through it. The law is that you have to be through/across the intersection BEFORE the light turns red. Which means that you can go through a yellow light and still be ticketed for going through a red light.

2) She admitted that the officer might have been being picky and looked at the officer's name and admitted that she didn't recognize it, so he must be new.

3) Claimed that the best she was authorized to offer me was to dismiss the ticket if I made a $50 donation to charity on the spot. They even had a book of local charities. I chose the local senior center.

I was able to go to the local police department's record division and have them change the race from WHITE to ASIAN in their computer. They couldn't change what was on the physical ticket, but claimed that changing it on the computer was better anyways.

Again thanks for the help/input with this matter

S

seniorjudge

3) Claimed that the best she was authorized to offer me was to dismiss the ticket if I made a $50 donation to charity on the spot. They even had a book of local charities. I chose the local senior center.

We old people thank you....

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">