• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Improper Registration - Fake Tags!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

I

imea

What is the name of your state? Missouri

Looking for a little advise please!

I was laid off from work, my plates expired the next month and I knew I couldn't come up with the personal property tax to renew my plates right away. So just so I wouldn't be pulled over every time I needed to go to the store or job interview I printed out some replacment tags that I made in PhotoShop. I was pulled over because the officer ran my plates at a stop sign (1 block from my house) and given a ticket for improper registration then below it says "fake tags". He mentioned I would have to appear and also said it's a felony.

Now I know I was wrong for this so no need to remind me... I'm just curious if when I show up for court I will just get the standard $45 improper registration fine or should I get a lawyer?

I am now working again and will get my 1st full paycheck the day of my court date (this Thursday) and I'm off Friday. So I was going to let the judge know that I am going to pay my PP Tax and renew my plates Friday afternoon (the next day).

What does everyone think?

I've seen people with white out and changed dates on their new car window registration because they couldn't come up with the money for the taxes right away so I wouldn't think this would be such a big deal but maybe I'm wrong?

Thank you!

Michael Allen

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">