• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Improper Right Turn in Oregon on New Years Eve

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

chevzilla

undefinedWhat is the name of your state? Oregon USA
I was on my way to work on New Years Eve of 2005. I was traveling in a full size van which was a borrowed vehicle from a frends stock. I went to an intersection from a side street to a two lane each way .It was my intent to turn right and proceed down the street. Two my right side were cars parked close to the Stop sign on the oppossing street. There is a slight rise to the asphalt running opposite me. As i turned I had to allow for the vehicle and took the left lane.I made it approx. 50 feet before he was on me with lights. When the Officer first approached me he seemed kind of grumpy and said "Oh I thought you were drunk" I had most of my vehicle paperwork and was given a ticket for ORS 811.355 Improper Right Turn for a whopping $232 bucks! :mad: OUCH! Now I identified myself as a courier as I was wearing my uniform and told him I was going to work. They inspected the van thru the windows quite well and saw my hand truck. I plead not guilty and am waiting to go to court but the system is so back logged that I have to call at the end of the month each month. When the lady at the courthouse saw the ticket she asked me if I was in a van and was it a work vehicle? Did I signal? Did I stop? When I affirmed on all she was supprised I had the ticket.The Officer seemed to be in the midst of training exercise as he was green. My driving background has no major problems other than a reckless driving ticket received more receintly for an accident that was partially caused by someone else.I've driven professionally for at least 5 years off and on.

Since I was in a large van am I allowed too take the right lane to make it around the parked cars safely?

Will it matter if it was a borrowed vehicle?

Can I state that I didn't have ample time to recover to the right lane before i was stopped?

Do I have a chance to win?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">