• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Improper Seatbelt Ticket

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Britt8607

I am located in Montgomery, Alabama.

Today I received a traffic citation for as the ticket states: Not wearing Seatbelt. However, I did have on my seatbelt, it was just tucked underneath my arm. The officer acknowledged that I had it on, but that I had it on improperly. My two questions regarding this offense are:

1. Is the citation improperly written because it states that I did NOT have on my seatbelt when in-fact I DID have it on it was just on improperly? Shouldn't the ticket state I had on my seatbelt improperly instead of not having it on?

2. After looking up the fine for a seatbelt violation I found it listed on the Montgomery, Alabama municipal court's website as $26. However, according to the Alabama Code § 32-5b-5 the fine for this violation can only be up to $25.

Are either of these issues grounds for dismissal? If so which one and how do I need to proceed?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

xylene

1. Legally, you are either wearing it properly, or you are not wearing it.

2. You are looking at the unrevised code perhaps?

xylene

It isn't the revised code. Would this help dismiss?
You don't have the legal skills to overturn a law.

It is a 25-26 dollar ticket.

You were in fact violating the law per your story.

Hire a lawyer if the point is really worth it...

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
http://www.montgomeryal.gov/index.aspx?page=181

You weren't charged with violating the state code. Montgomery's violation allows for a $26 fine.

You could argue that the law in unconstitutional. That's what most people do who wish to contest.

Lots of information on the web as to this defense having much of a chance.

CdwJava

That would be a long and expensive argument to make in order to save $26. And, without any precedent to stand on, good luck!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">