• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Improper Service? Photo Radar Ticket

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

asmokindeal

What is the name of your state? Arizona

I was working a week ago when my neighbor text messaged me telling me that there was someone trying to serve me a photo radar ticket (Paradise Valley).

I wasn't home so it didn't matter.

A couple days later I see someone pull up as I had opened the door. I shut the door and went back inside. I was wearing a motorcycle helmet so if he saw me he couldn't make a positive ID.

He knocked on the door for about 5 minutes. I didn't answer and finally he said through the door. "I have some papers here from the Paradise Valley Courts. You need to contact them. I'm going to leave the papers here at the door. You have officially been served."

He leaves the papers and drives away.

Is this a proper service? Can I get this thrown out? I know that a warrant will be issued if I don't appear.

What do I have to do to get this service thrown out?

Thanks for the help.

CdwJava

You can hire an attorney to challenge the service ... but, when you show up in court, they could then serve you.

The bottom line is you will eventually have to deal with the matter. You can attempt to dodge service all you want, but it won't make the citation go away.

- Carl

JIMinCA

Proper service means different things in different states for different situations. In some cases, simply leaving the summons on the doorstep at your residence is proper service. If you show up in court to challenge the service, then you have appeared and render yourself subject to the court's jurisdiction.

Bottom line is... not appearing because of improper service is dicey at best. I think it would be advisable to seek an actual defense for your ticket.

Hey There

12-25-07
asmokindeal,

In Arizona complaints including TRAFFIC TICKETS MUST be served in person.
However, if a driver receives a ticket in the mail, and he SIGNS the ticket the driver WAIVES his right to be served personally.
(Info can be verified by typing in Photo Radar Traffic Tickets in AZ
on Google and clicking on Photo Radar - Red Light Camera )

Typing in " Fighting a photo radar ticket " on Google and other KEYWORDS pertaining to your citation should provide you with information on how you want to handle this.

Best Regards,
Hey There

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">