• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

improper u turn

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

foster72

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Illinois

I was on a two lane street with two drive ways on the left side of the street.

There were no u turn signs and as i was turning into the driveway i got hit by a car.

I called the police, he took witnesses statements and i ended up getting a ticket for an improper u turn. Is this right?

Is it my fault i got hit?
By the way its only 25 through here and i did have my turn signal on.

But about how much would this cost, and i have to go to court for it too.

reactive

Not that it matters legally, but wren't you making a left turn rather than a u-turn? I suppose that the road lines communicate whether it was permissible or not. Double yellow line means illegal, probably. If it was on a curve or grade, the lack of visibility also might have been a reason.

Last edited:

FlyingRon

Turning left or making a U turn, you're supposed to yield to oncoming traffic. Turning on your signal is NOT sufficient. If you told the cop that you were making a U turn when you were struck, it's not surprising that is what he wrote you up for.

foster72

i wasnt hit by on coming traffic, i was hit by the person behind me.

there was no oncoming traffic, it was not in an intersection, and there was plenty of visibility.

also i did not tell the cop i was doing a u turn.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">