• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

improperly wearing a seatbelt?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

dschaumburg

i live in ca. and i got pulled over and ticketed for improperly wearing seatbelt. i had it on, and connected but it was under my left arm, seatbelt hits me at the top of my neck and saws me in half and shokes me. what thehell kind of a ticket is that1 ? is there anything i can do about that?

justalayman

despite what all those bubble-headed automotive safety engineers have to say.

What the heck do they know?
Well, I don;t know if I would put engineers that far up on the pedastal. The Ford Pintos that blew up and and the Chevy pick up trucks that blew up and several different manufacturers that had problems with "unintended acceleration" and ...well, I'm sure you get the point.

anyway, from california law

(d) (1) A person may not operate a motor vehicle on a highway
unless that person and all passengers 16 years of age or over are
properly restrained by a safety belt. This paragraph does not apply
to the operator of a taxicab, as defined in Section 27908, when the
taxicab is driven on a city street and is engaged in the
transportation of a fare-paying passenger. The safety belt
requirement established by this paragraph is the minimum safety
standard applicable to employees being transported in a motor
vehicle. This paragraph does not preempt any more stringent or
restrictive standards imposed by the Labor Code or any other state or
federal regulation regarding the transportation of employees in a
motor vehicle.
I did not look to find any clearer definition of the proper use but I'm betting that in your owners manual it describes proper use as allowing it to lay across your shoulder and not under your arm. That would make the requirement of having it across your shoulder mandatory.

JustAPal00

and the Chevy pick up trucks that blew up
Did you ever see when "Dateline" tried to expose the exploding Chevy pickups? They couldn't get one to explode by just running into the side like the claims said, so they put an explosive charge on the gas tank and detonated it during the collision. So goes investigative journalism! Don't forget the Ford school buses! They also had the exploding side gas tanks. All the churches drive them now, that was part of the cause of all those kids in Kentucky that were killed coming home from the amusement park when their bus was hit by a drunk driver!

justalayman

I was just picking on the engineers. They do some good stuff. They do some not so good stuff.

I just don;t put all my faith in them due to the bad stuff they have done.

I have a great little story about the steering shaft "u-joint" at the steering wheel for a "fox" chassis (I think that was the tempo/topaz but not sure). I watched as the engineers hand picked parts to assemble and test in the required test jig.

It flew apart. You should have seen the jaws drop.

Not sure how many were already used in vehicles on the road to that point.

justalayman

As an aside... Ford's "Fox" platform was a front engine rear-wheel drive chassis. It began with the Ford Fairmont/Mercury Zephyr, was used for the Lincoln Mark VII, and ended as a Mustang. For the engineering technology available at the time, the Fox was very successful. Tempo/Topaz was a front-drive platform.
Thanks. Like I said. I was not sure as to my belief of the models involved.

The test was not meant to be a destructive test. They had not gotten to that point yet. This was a first pressure application and was merely meant to test within "user" limits.:eek:

and yes, I have not seen any comlpaints or recalls for this particular problem. The test parameters very well could have been well above torque experienced in actual use. It was simply "priceless" to see the reactions, especially after the engineers hand picked parts to be very close to a 0 tolerance of dimension.

sunshinegirl2

i live in ca. and i got pulled over and ticketed for improperly wearing seatbelt. i had it on, and connected but it was under my left arm, seatbelt hits me at the top of my neck and saws me in half and shokes me. what thehell kind of a ticket is that1 ? is there anything i can do about that?
I dont like seatbelts either, my grandmother was nearly paralyzed when in an accident while wearing a seat belt...in any case, isnt the first seat belt ticket only $25...good luck

fairisfair

I dont like seatbelts either, my grandmother was nearly paralyzed when in an accident while wearing a seat belt...in any case, isnt the first seat belt ticket only $25...good luck
are you actually encouraging posters to break the law?? that is discouraged here.:rolleyes:

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
It's at least triple that.
Also, I'm sorry your grandmother was nearly paralyzed whilst wearing a seatbelt. Now, it's 1 against wearing belts to 15,793 for wearing belts in the past year (numbers are approximate, but you get the idea).
AND, how do you KNOW that your grandma wouldn't have faired worse if not wearing a seatbelt?

Your advice is not good...

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">