• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Inattentive Driving

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

P

pancers

What is the name of your state? ID

I was on my way to work driving on the interstate and per road construction I missed the exit I was to turn on. I then merged over into the inner lane of the interstate and began to slow when I saw a median, I then turned on my left blinker and continued to slow while turning into the median. I then turned on my left blinker and watched for traffic to ease and allow me to turn back onto the interstate and resume the correct direction to get off onto the correct exit I needed. Just as I went to turn out onto the interstate an officer saw me and pulled me over. He stated that I had caused an accident behind me, a compact car had collided into the van that was following behind me. He stated that I was at fault and had caused this and had me stay at the scene of the crime until everything was cleared. Then he cited me with unattentive driving under code #49-1401-3. Below that he listed accident involved. He then asked me for my insurance, and wrote in a DR#, and stated I would need to give this to my insurance company. He did not give any of my insurance info to either of the other two drivers involved in the accident as they had already left the scene. My question is this- Am I then being charged w/ the other two vehicles collision and am I responsible for their accident and any charges incrued? It doesn't seem correct, the van behind me didn't collide into me only the compact car behind them collided into the van therefore sounding as if that car was following too close. I understand that I was in the wrong of using the median to turn around and am prepared to face the charges or fines. but am I wrong about me not having any part in the other cars collision? Please give any advice you can. Thanks

abezon

Read your own post. You cut off the van, it slammed on its brakes, & was rear-ended. You caused the accident. However, this doesn't mean you can't fight the ticket. If the officer did not see you cut off the van, you can argue that the officer's testimony is hearsay (officer is merely repeating what the van driver said) & should be excluded. If the officer saw you change lanes, you'll have to attack his perceptions.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">