• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Inattentive Driving Ticket

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

maximumchris

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Minnesota

OK, here goes. I was given a ticket for Inattentinve Driving under MN statute 169.14(1). This was due to me failing to yield to bicyclist who was in a crosswalk. I was traveling west on University Ave., which is a major street divided by a median. I did see that traffic had begun to stop on the other side, but there wasn't anyone in the crosswalk and the stopped traffic included a city bus and a police car next to it, so I assumed there was perhaps some kind of altercation ad some rubber-necking going on. I realized this was not the case an instant later when a guy on a mountain bike rode across that side of the street and stopped at the median ahead of me and to my left. The car in the lane to my right managed to come to a stop, but I didn't feel I had propper room given that there was another car behind me. So, I continued. Now, the car behind me didn't stop either. The policecar immediately started squacking, made a u-turn and pulled us both over. The officer was really aggressive, saying I "almost took the guy out," so I didn't argue with him. When he came back with the ticket I tried to broach the subject of bikes in the crosswalk and he said it didn't matter. He told me he was giving me the Inattentive ticket because it is cheaper than a failure to yield ticket. I said nothing since I figured I might end up with both if I complained. I got home and consulted my insurance policy which says that that ticket is a major 3-point violation (i.e. 50% premium increase). Also, being a petty misdemeanor, I will have no right to a jury trial. Now, I have looked at the MN statues regarding bikes, and they seem conflicted. Its says they must obey the rules of the road, yet they have the same rights and duties of pedestrians in a crosswalk. The law also says that pedestrian cannot run or dart out into traffic. The officer seemed to think that I should have been expecting this because the other side was stopped, but I didn't anticipate they were all waiting for a bicycle to ride across. This cyclist did, to me, appear suddenly, but since he stopped (smartly) I so no need to panic. What burden of proof does the state have in this case? There was no accident nor any immediate danger (the cyclist was still separated from my car by a left-turn lane). I can't vouch for the idiot behind me who had plenty of time, but I may argue that they were obviously in danger of hitting me if I were to stop suddenly in front of them. Remember, they followed me through the intersection and were also ticketed. In fact I thought the officer was just going to get them, but he waved me over, too. I've never fought a ticket before, but I just feel that I acted properly. I'm scared that if I go to a trial before a judge, they will not overide the officer, even if I'm right. I would appreciate any advice, particularly on how to handle myself in court.

Thanks,

Chris

FlyingRon

The excuse that "there was a car behind me" isn't going to fly.

If MN law says that bikes are permitted the same rights as pedestrians in crosswalks (uncommon, but I guess MN is more bike friendly than we are here), then you're screwed.

If you were attentive to the road conditions rather than gawking at the police car on the other side of the road, you'd have avoided a near collision with the bike.

Did the officer get the name of the citizen (discover)..is there evidence that could be presented that is now missing... was the citizen questioned? The idea would be to raise doubt. The citizen angle is generally easier to work than a peace officer. No, the judge is not going to simply take your word over the cops. Thats the fact of life. Their testimony under oath as a sworn officer is given significant weight.

You have the power of subpoena though, and another person involved in this matter.

Last edited:

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Did the officer get the name of the citizen (discover)..is there evidence that could be presented that is now missing... was the citizen questioned? The idea would be to raise doubt. The citizen angle is generally easier to work than a peace officer. No, the judge is not going to simply take your word over the cops. Thats the fact of life. Their testimony under oath as a sworn officer is given significant weight.

You have the power of subpoena though, and another person involved in this matter.
Steven - why would you even imply that the officer is somehow required to get the information on the "citizen"? You ought to know better than that...

FlyingRon

What citizen are you talking about? The cop himself is the witness.

maximumchris

Settle down

There was no "near collision" with the cyclist. As I said, the road was divided and they stopped at the median which also contained an adjacent left turn lane, so there was a good eight feet between us. I could and would have stopped had he kept going. It was more like "What the hell is this idiot doing?" I say I didn't think it prudent to slam on my brakes when no one was in any real danger. Yes, MN law says bikes have the same rights and DUTIES as a pedestrian. MN law also says no pedestrian shall "run or dart into traffic so that a vehicle has no potential to stop." Law does not say that vehicles must stop for peds waiting to cross the street, only that they must yeild to them after they have entered the cross walk. THE TRAFFIC WAS STOPPED BEFORE THE BIKE ENTERED THE INTERSECTION. Due, I'm sure to the police car's presence. University Ave is HUGE. It spans 7 lanes when including the median. The cyclist litterally shot across half the street (to the median) then stopped. I'm sure he felt goaded into it because everyone was waiting for him (trying to look nice in front of the police; its a pretty ghetto area). My "Aha!" moment (when I realized why everyone was stopped) didn't come until I saw him come into my field of view. Until that point my first inclination was that there was something else going on or just normal traffic congestion since, as previously stated, there was a city bus over there, too. It was the officer's argument that I should have anticipated this by seeing that the other side was stopped. I'm not trying to make excuses, just to tell what happened, what my thoughts were (right or wrong) and looking for advice. I realize we all need to be aware of potential hazards, but I also need to look ahead of me. University Ave. is seriously wide and they are actually going to build a light-rail line down it soon. I did not see the bike waiting on the other side to cross as I wasn't craning my neck across the other the side of the street. I didn't assume that everybody on the other side got a case of "Minnesota Nice" in front of the cop. I was wrong. If it had been some one on foot, there would have not even been this incident. The guy probably didn't even have the intention of using the cross walk specifically. As I said, the officer issued the "failure to use due care" citation, he said, because it was cheaper. Maybe he wasn't real sure of the law either. Maybe both. Maybe, maybe, maybe. I'm going to try to get a continuance for dismissal from the prosecutor so my insurance doesn't go up. It just sucks that I feel paranoid when I drive now. If they won't give me a continuance, I'll fight. Maybe if I had just tried to make my case to the officer, he would have saw it my way. Maybe. He was a real hot-head that started talking crazy right off the bat. Maybe he wanted to scare me into shutting up. He did. I think he was more uspset about the lady behind me, who was just grossly oblivious to it all. I just kind of rolled over. Oh, well. I'll roll over again and hope the prosecutor pets my belly.

Last edited:
Steven - why would you even imply that the officer is somehow required to get the information on the "citizen"? You ought to know better than that...
because i've seen a case dismissed when an officer was unable to produce a witness on more than one occasion.

I would never guarantee that as a result.. at all..

Last edited:

justalayman

because i've seen a case dismissed when an officer was unable to produce a witness on more than one occasion.

I would never guarantee that as a result.. at all..
a witness for what? So far you have the driver and the cop. Cop usually wins. No reason for cop to "produce a witness".

If anybody needs or wants a witness, it would be the driver. If driver didn't obtain the name of any witnesses in the area, he is probably SOL.

maximumchris

Stop arguing!!

I see this thread has degenerated into sensless arguments between people who are no longer even paying attention to what I'm saying. If anybody out there has knowlegde of MINNESOTA LAW please respond. I've been doing alot of research and have read about alot of scuzzy ways people try to use to get out of tickets and they all seem to fail (from the appelate descisions I've read). I want to know if anybody knows about how to go about getting a CONTINUANCE FOR DISMISSAL (i.e., should I talk to the issuing officer, the prosecutor, etc.). This would mean that I plead guilty but the offense would not be charged to my record if I don't get any other tickets, I think, for a year. I think I have to request a hearing because it is a petty misdemeanor. I've spent the last few days being mad about this and feeling sorry for myself. Today I was driving and a guy on a bike did somthing really stupid and I might have hit him if I wasn't already exersizing greater caution because of this ticket. So, its like it happened for a reason. I've decided to take the high road on this: admit my faults and try to be a better driver.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Today I was driving and a guy on a bike did somthing really stupid and I might have hit him if I wasn't already exersizing greater caution because of this ticket. So, its like it happened for a reason. I've decided to take the high road on this: admit my faults and try to be a better driver.
Congratulations - the ticket really seems to have served its purpose.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">