• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Incomplete Ticket

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Valjean999

What is the name of your state? Maryland

After inspecting a recent ticket, I noticed that the officer failed to fill in the time of my alleged offense. He had the date, but no time. I have heard talk from others that not having the entire thing filled out can cause it to be thrown out of court. Any truth to this, or is this just an urban legend? Thanks in advance!What is the name of your state?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What is the name of your state? Maryland

After inspecting a recent ticket, I noticed that the officer failed to fill in the time of my alleged offense. He had the date, but no time. I have heard talk from others that not having the entire thing filled out can cause it to be thrown out of court. Any truth to this, or is this just an urban legend? Thanks in advance!What is the name of your state?
Urban Legend, generally. Your "error" is not a fatal error for the ticket.

You Are Guilty

Urban Legend, generally. Your "error" is not a fatal error for the ticket.
Not so fast - we don't even know what the ticket is for. If, for example, it was a "No Parking, 12-2" or "HOV Lane Only 9-5" then the missing time may be a defense. On the other hand, if it was for, say, speeding, which is always illegal, then we're back at Urban Legend. :cool:

Zigner

Not so fast - we don't even know what the ticket is for. If, for example, it was a "No Parking, 12-2" or "HOV Lane Only 9-5" then the missing time may be a defense. On the other hand, if it was for, say, speeding, which is always illegal, then we're back at Urban Legend. :cool:
Very good point :eek:

melody301

Another Ticketing Problem

State: MD
I have a similar situation I got a ticket for "parking less than 5" of driveway". Two problems with my ticket:

1. It should have stated "parking less than 5' of driveway" but it said 5" instead.

2. No dollar amount was checked. Therefore if I wanted to pay the tickets I wouldn't know how much it was for because the amount isn't specified.

So am I liable to pay the fine, when really there is not specified fine to pay.

Zigner

State: MD
I have a similar situation I got a ticket for "parking less than 5" of driveway". Two problems with my ticket:

1. It should have stated "parking less than 5' of driveway" but it said 5" instead.

2. No dollar amount was checked. Therefore if I wanted to pay the tickets I wouldn't know how much it was for because the amount isn't specified.

So am I liable to pay the fine, when really there is not specified fine to pay.
Melody -

2 pieces of advice. #1: Start your own thread and, #2: When the notice comes in the mail, pay the fine for the valid ticket you received.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">