• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Incorrect date on ticket, officer trying to re-issue ticket

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

nkumar7

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? GA

One of the guys who works in my office was issued a ticket for an illegal left turn (no turn on left). Apparently the officer also told him his license was suspended, which it was not, as he allowed him to eventually drive away. This happened right outside our work location (part of a major educational institution in Atlanta), so his boss was able to go down and help him out.

Since then, he (office mate) and the cop both realized that the date was incorrectly written on the ticket. Since the cop knows where he works, he's been here on numerous occasions today (and a few times in the last couple of days) trying to find him to re-issue him the ticket.

My question is- is this legal? Can a ticket that has once been issued and signed for be re-issued? The office mate has been avoiding the cop and has so far succeeded, whether this is right or wrong, I dont know. Could this be considered harassment?

Incidentally, the cop is a part of the university police system, not the county/state.

racer72

Incidentally, the cop is a part of the university police system, not the county/state.
Most university police systems are accredited law enforcement agencies and have the same police powers as any other city or county police force.

nkumar7

Most university police systems are accredited law enforcement agencies and have the same police powers as any other city or county police force.
Yes, you are correct. The reason I mentioned this was that someone was telling me that here the cops aren't allowed to just enter the student dorms unless they are specifically called there by a complaint or if they see something suspicious (I wonder if university cops have different authorities wrt something like this?). On a similar note, is this cop allowed to show up at a place of employment multiple times without being called here, disrupt other people working and generally make his presence unwelcome?

I just feel like its somewhat harassing and disruptive. But that's just me.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">