• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Incorrect Out-of-State Speeding Ticket

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

treek99

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? SC

I have SC tags but was wrongly stopped on the way to school in Indiana. the cop said I was going 81 in a 70 but I told him he had the wrong car because for 1) I just got off the previous exit to use the bathroom, 2) it was at night ad the interstate was crowded and 3) and I have a red corolla (the most popular color (red) car and the 2nd most popular vehicle (corolla) in th US). I informed him that I just got off the exit and I had it on cruise at the 65 limit but he gave me the ticket anyway- I'm assuming because he knew it would be a lot more for me to try and fight the ticket than to just pay it. I feel this is extremely unfair! Firstly, does anyone know how many points this will put on my license and then how much my insurance would go up? I'm very confused as the ticket was given in a different state so I don't know which state to look up. Is there a way I can fight this without having to travel all the way back to Indiana? Thanks much.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

occharge

and I have a red corolla (the most popular color (red) car and the 2nd most popular vehicle (corolla) in th US).
Are those your own statistics or are you basing that statement on something you read somewhere?

I'm very confused as the ticket was given in a different state so I don't know which state to look up.
The citation was issued in Indiana by an Indiana police officer and you will be paying your fine to a court in Indiana using Indiana currency!

Orcons

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? SC

I have SC tags but was wrongly stopped on the way to school in Indiana. the cop said I was going 81 in a 70 but I told him he had the wrong car because for 1) I just got off the previous exit to use the bathroom, 2) it was at night ad the interstate was crowded and 3) and I have a red corolla (the most popular color (red) car and the 2nd most popular vehicle (corolla) in th US). I informed him that I just got off the exit and I had it on cruise at the 65 limit but he gave me the ticket anyway- I'm assuming because he knew it would be a lot more for me to try and fight the ticket than to just pay it. I feel this is extremely unfair! Firstly, does anyone know how many points this will put on my license and then how much my insurance would go up? I'm very confused as the ticket was given in a different state so I don't know which state to look up. Is there a way I can fight this without having to travel all the way back to Indiana? Thanks much.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
As was pointed out it was an Indiana ticket so if you want to fight it you need to take it up with Indiana. You need to look into how you can do that, some states allow you to fight the ticket by mail, some will require you to do it in person.

The other question you need to address is what, if anything, will SC do about the ticket if they find out about it. Many states are members of a compact that shares such information and SC could give you points on your license which could raise your insurance. Whether or not you want to fight the ticket in Indiana might have something to do with what SC will do. If the ticket will not affect your insurance you might just want to pay it. I would start with a traffic lawyer in SC - find out what will happen there. If based on that info you decide to fight it then you need to look into how to do that in Indiana.

treek99

thanks so much for ur help thus far!

Are those your own statistics or are you basing that statement on something you read somewhere?
these were stats based on readings and talkin with some auto experts previously.

If the ticket will not affect your insurance you might just want to pay it.
how exactly do i now if it will or not? normally i would just ask my auto agent, but seems like it'd give them a heads up that i do have a ticket and i'm not sure if they'd react on that alone?

occharge

thanks so much for ur help thus far!

these were stats based on readings and talkin with some auto experts previously.
I see... I only ask because I had never heard those before... Learned something new... What I have heard though is that "red" and due to the fact that it (as well as white) is a "bright" color might be the color that is cited the most... But don't quote me on that!!!
how exactly do i now if it will or not? normally i would just ask my auto agent, but seems like it'd give them a heads up that i do have a ticket and i'm not sure if they'd react on that alone?
Well, typically your agent is not the one who decides to raise your premium.

If you're still worried, you can call you insurance agent anonymously and just ask him/her if a ticket in Indiana would affect an SC driver's premium...

But I also think that Orcons was eluding to the possibility (slight as it maybe) that SC might not care if you got a citation in Indiana... Therefore the citation might not show up on you SC driving record and your insurance might not find out...

All these questions can be answered by you making a few calls and/or maybe doing a few online searches.

Either that or someone else more famliar with SC traffic laws might chime in...

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">