• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Incorrect vehicle information including my license plate

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mattnsac

What is the name of your state? CALIFORNIA

Ok I was pulled over on the freeway by a CHP going to San Francisco. He wrote me up for speeding over 100 mph and I contend it was more like 70 on a clear road. Anyways, on my citation he wrote the wrong vehicle saying I was driving a VW Jetta when I was driving a VW Golf and he also wrote down an incorrect licence plate number. I am planning on contesting this by written declaration not only because its more convinient because I was ticketed over 60 miles from my city, Sacramento, but also because i hear it is more likely I will win. My question is, do I have a good chance that this will be thrown out or will the court simply let the cop correct the mistakes on the ticket? Is there anything I can cite that would help my case? thanks in advance

Last edited:

lwpat

The judge will allow the officer to correct the information. It has nothing to do with the violation. There are a couple of things. You might consider a change of venue if the county seat is closer to you. Also the Trial by Declaration rarely works unless you can present enough evidence to cause reasonable doubt. CHP officers also almost always show for court so your chances there are also slim.

You can do the Trial by Declaration and see what happens. Then ask for a new trial and retain an attorney. Some judges may be less likely to deal because of the Trial by Declaration, others won't so it is your choice.

This is a very serious violation with major consequences. You better know what you are doing or either retain an attorney to start with. If you decide to to the Trial by Declaration on your own send me an email and I can provide some references.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">