• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Incorrect violation listed on ticket

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

lttlgrnman

What is the name of your state? North Carolina

I was recently given a ticket for following too closely and a warning citation for rolling a stop sign. On the ticket for following too closely, as there is no check box for this violation so the officer wrote in the comments section that I had been following to closely for the condition of the road and the traffic on it. Below, he wrote in a violation code which I have discovered is not the code for following too closely but for driving to evade arrest which I absolutely did not do; I pulled over immediately. Now, I am planning on going to court for this in the hope that I can get my fine and points reduced, however I was wondering if I can get this thrown out completely since there is an error on the ticket. Also, will the warning citation be brought up, lessening my chances of having a reduction of charges and points since there were multiple violations? My record is currently clean, I have only received one ticket for speeding in the 12 years I have been driving and I would like to keep it that way. Thanks.

Two Bit

This will be a sistuation that depends very much on state law. You have to be notified of the charge for which you will face trial. Having the wrong code section on there could be a major issue, or it could be that since it states what you did, the court would find that you've been adequatly warned of what you're charged with.

This could be a technicality that you could work to your advantage, but you'd have to talk to a lawyer to be sure. The question is whether or not it's worth it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">