• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Indiana Abandoned Vehicle Laws

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

P

PCDreamer

According to the Indiana Code below, the officer is supposed to tag the vehicle. Does putting a paper in the door of my house stating I've violated this law constitute a formal tagging of the vehicle?

Tagging abandoned vehicle or parts
Sec. 11. An officer who finds or is notified of a vehicle or parts believed to be abandoned shall attach in a prominent place a notice tag containing the following information:
(1) The date, time, officer's name, public agency, and address and telephone number to contact for information.
(2) That the vehicle or parts are considered abandoned.
(3) That the vehicle or parts will be removed after seventy-two (72) hours.
(4) That the person who owns the vehicle will be held responsible for all costs incidental to the removal, storage, and disposal of the vehicle.
(5) That the person who owns the vehicle may avoid costs by removal of the vehicle or parts within seventy-two (72) hours.
As added by P.L.2-1991, SEC.10. Amended by P.L.66-1992, SEC.5.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

PCDreamer said:
According to the Indiana Code below, the officer is supposed to tag Does putting a paper in the door of my house the vehicle. stating I've violated this law constitute a formal tagging of the vehicle?

Tagging abandoned vehicle or parts
Sec. 11. An officer who finds or is notified of a vehicle or parts believed to be abandoned shall attach in a prominent place a notice tag containing the following information:
(1) The date, time, officer's name, public agency, and address and telephone number to contact for information.
(2) That the vehicle or parts are considered abandoned.
(3) That the vehicle or parts will be removed after seventy-two (72) hours.
(4) That the person who owns the vehicle will be held responsible for all costs incidental to the removal, storage, and disposal of the vehicle.
(5) That the person who owns the vehicle may avoid costs by removal of the vehicle or parts within seventy-two (72) hours.
As added by P.L.2-1991, SEC.10. Amended by P.L.66-1992, SEC.5.

======================================

My response:

You said - -

"Does putting a paper in the door of my house . . ."

The law says - -

"An officer . . . shall attach in a prominent place a notice tag . . ."

So, the question is begged, are you saying that you don't consider your door a "prominent place"?

IAAL

P

PCDreamer

I guess to put it another way, does the vehicle in question have to be tagged specifically or am I suppose to make a basic assumption on what vehicle he is tagging? I would think to make it all legal that the vehicle would need to be tagged, not put a paper in the door stating I've broken the ordinance and for me to figure out which vehicle it is. More specifically, does a piece of paper with the town ordinance and the police department information on it constitute tagging the vehicle? Hypothetically, If I am arrested but not told why, am I to assume in my mind the reason?

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">