• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Insurance Expired by 9 Hours Ticket

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

icdforever

Hi, I recently got a ticket in Delaware. I was recently pulled over for speeding and I was also given a ticket for not having proof of insurance which I didn't think was a big deal. But when I went to pay the bills a couple of days later I realized my insurance had expired at midnight of the day of my ticket. I always have insurance but due to wife not sending check not this time. So, I go to the court date and think this isn't a big deal since I only have 1 other ticket in DE in my life for speeding and I am 33 but when the judge gets to me, he states the fine can but up to $3000 and loss of license for 6 months and encourages me to transfer my case to court of common pleas which I do. Mind you an almost non-English speaker, two case before me did not have a license or registered car but only had a fine of $800 which boogles my mind but besides the point.

My question is what do I do now? Should I get a lawyer or argue myself? I have the documentation of insurance being expired midnight of the day and new insurance later in the week when I realize it was expired. But I am scared to lose my license since I have a full time job and am normally a responsible law abiding citizen.

Any Help would be much appreciated.....

JETX

My question is what do I do now? Should I get a lawyer or argue myself? I have the documentation of insurance being expired midnight of the day and new insurance later in the week when I realize it was expired.
Most courts will dismiss a 'no insurance' ticket if you show that you are now insured.... even more likely in your case.

icdforever

Thanks for the quick response.

Over the weekend, I went to the prelimanary court hearing where you can not plead since Delaware has a Court of Common Pleas. So it was either admit guilt or transfer. I transferred but am wondering how this court works. I thought when I went over the weekend, I could admit guilt and have reduced sentencing but that didn't happen. Will the court of common pleas be different? I'm just scared since I am never in this situation.
And I can't find antecodat information about how please work in this court.

Thanks again for the help.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">