• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Interest on fine?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

DRTDEVL

What is the name of your state?VA

Is there a limit as to how much interest a courthouse can charge on a traffic fine?

I found out I have an unpaid ticket ($350 fine). I called the courthouse, and they say I owe them over $680 due to interest! :eek: I don't live there, I never was informed of any proceedings... I wasn't even in the US when the ticket was issued... But I allegedly showed up to court, lost, appealed, and then was tried in absentia. Guilty, $350, 30 day suspension.

I just want to run a calculation based on the elapsed time to see if this crazy interest is a proper amount... If it is not... I'm a-gonna have to get my ducks in a row to fight it, rather than give them a week's pay.

garrula lingua

Unclear - is this your ticket ?

Did someone else ue your name, vehicle & dl # (?does happen)?

When was the ticket issued; do you have proof that you were out of the country on that date ? (traffic cites are issued the same day...never saw one issued later...) Is there a thumbprint on the back of the orig ticket ?

Was it you ? The cop has to be able to ID you as driver at trial.

PS: In Ca they also add 'civil assessments' to a ticket which can add a few thousand dollars. Some Judges will delete those additional fees, if you can get it before a court -- check & see if you can get this before the Judge.

With traffic tickets, the most knowledgable people are the court clerks at the courthouse that deal with them - turn on your charm and ask them for help.

DRTDEVL

Wasn't me... But the DL # on the stop was the same as my SSN (not my DL #).

I can prove it with a little digging, but I have to go to VA to fight it. The clerk's office said that I can submit my evidence to the Court, and then it is up to the Judge's discretion on wether or not to even grant a hearing on the matter.

The case is 8 years old, so no matter the outcome my MVR will remain clean (except in VA, where reckless remains for 11 years, but I don't live there). I need to weigh the costs between the time off work and travelling to VA compared to just paying this thing off. Being traffic court, I can hire a lawyer to appear on my behalf, or I have to appear in person... Both are big $$$.

The only reason I even found out about this was I went to get my CDL renewed earlier this year. There was a hold on my SSN, and I was directed to contact the VA DMV. The VA DMV told me the hold was initiated by the New Kent County Court, and to contact them about it.

There is no "civil assessment" added. Just the fine ($300) + costs ($50), and interest accumulated (another $350-400) since January of 1998 (when it was tried in absentia).

I am just trying to figure out how much interest could legally be charged on a traffic fine... The amount of interest I was quoted comes out to approx. 16% APR.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">