• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Intermediate Driver's License - Speeding Ticket [Iowa]

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Huelex

I'll just be straight forward. I'm a 16 year old in Iowa with a Intermediate Driver's License. About two weeks ago I was driving in Waukee in my grandpa's truck racing my friend and we got clocked doing 84 in a 45. He pulled us over gave us both warnings for illegal drag racing and then marked that ticket for 75 in a 45. Now here's my question on this. How long and I going to lose my license for this? I was thinking 6 months but I'm not sure. I have never had any other moving violations to add into this.

Thanks for any help guys.

I've been looking around more and was wondering if I could use deferred judgement for this speeding ticket so I don't lose it for a year. I can't afford to lose to for a year. What should I do guys?

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
I'll just be straight forward. I'm a 16 year old in Iowa with a Intermediate Driver's License. About two weeks ago I was driving in Waukee in my grandpa's truck racing my friend and we got clocked doing 84 in a 45. He pulled us over gave us both warnings for illegal drag racing and then marked that ticket for 75 in a 45. Now here's my question on this. How long and I going to lose my license for this? I was thinking 6 months but I'm not sure. I have never had any other moving violations to add into this.

I've been looking around more and was wondering if I could use deferred judgement for this speeding ticket so I don't lose it for a year. I can't afford to lose to for a year. What should I do guys?
Do you pay for your own insurance? If not, plan on doing so. Hopefully your parents are responsible and will not allow you to get your license back until you are able to pay insurance and other costs associated (car payment) regardless of when the state says you can get it back.
Immature kids don't deserve or need a driver's license.

Huelex

Do you pay for your own insurance? If not, plan on doing so. Hopefully your parents are responsible and will not allow you to get your license back until you are able to pay insurance and other costs associated (car payment) regardless of when the state says you can get it back.
Immature kids don't deserve or need a driver's license.
I do pay for my own insurance so I plan on paying with the new increase. All I'm asking is if I can fight this and ask for a restricted license for say a year and I'd have to go to a driving school or something?

You Are Guilty

I do pay for my own insurance so I plan on paying with the new increase. All I'm asking is if I can fight this and ask for a restricted license for say a year and I'd have to go to a driving school or something?
Hahahaha, no.

http://www.iowadot.gov/mvd/ods/gdl.htm

http://www.iowadot.gov/mvd/ods/dlmanual/section4.pdf

According to this, had the extremely nice officer written you up for the drag racing, (and unsupervised driving, and driving outside permitted hours), you would have your license revoked. Be glad it's just a suspension and a delay till you can get the full license. And smarten up, or else you may not live to even see that day.

CSO286

You can ask, but hte Judge doesn't have to give it to you.

And since you've barely gotten your licnese and have already proven that you are reckless, I can see the Judge saying, "Hmmm, maybe you should just hold off on driving altogether until you turn 18."

TheGeekess

Keeper of the Kraken

Good luck with all that. :cool:

Minor’s Restricted License and Minor’s School License
The DOT can suspend your minor’s restricted license or minor’s school license for conviction of just one traffic
violation. If you are convicted of two or more violations, your license will be revoked for at least one year. It is important to
note that a suspension or revocation of a minor’s restricted license or a minor’s school license also
suspends or revokes your instruction permit and/or other driving privileges you
hold.
http://www.iowadot.gov/mvd/ods/dlmanual/section4.pdf#page=2

Remedial driver improvement
Drivers under the age of 18 may be suspended, and/or have additional restrictions, and may be subject to additional testing if the driver:

Commits a moving violation.
Is involved in a crash to which the driver contributed.

Possible restrictions include:

No driving between 10 p.m. and 5 a.m. unless accompanied by a parent or guardian.
No passengers, unless accompanied by parent/guardian.
No wireless communication devices. (Example: cell phone)

The license holder must begin a six-month (instruction permit holder) or 12-month (intermediate license holder) crash- and violation-free driving period from the date the traffic violation occurred or the date of the contributive crash to qualify for the next licensing level. The dates are determined by the Iowa DOT based on the crash or violation.

If a person's driving privilege is suspended, the new period begins on the date the privilege is reinstated.
http://www.iowadot.gov/mvd/ods/gdl.htm#

Suspension of driving privileges
Your driving privileges may be suspended for:

Habitual violator: If you have been convicted of, or pled guilty to, three or more countable moving violations (including out-of-state violations) that were committed within a 12-month period.
Serious violation: If you are convicted of, or pled guilty to, speeding 25 miles or more over the legal speed limit.
Countable moving violations: Includes all moving violations except the first two speed convictions within a 12-month period which occur in speed zones between 34 mph and 56 mph and you were convicted of speed 10 mph or less over the posted speed limit. A moving violation is defined to include all violations not specifically excluded by Iowa Code § 321.210. (Examples of excluded violations include parking violations, failure to appear, equipment violations, registration violations, or disturbing the peace with a motor vehicle).
http://www.iowadot.gov/mvd/ods/dip.htm#
owa Code 321.278 - Drag racing prohibited
Iowa Code > Title VIII > Subtitle 2 > Chapter 321 > § 321.278. Drag racing prohibited

No person shall engage in any motor vehicle speed contest or exhibition of speed on any street or highway of this state and no person shall aid or abet any motor vehicle speed contest or speed exhibition on any street or highway of this state, except that a passenger shall not be considered as aiding and abetting. Motor vehicle speed contest or exhibition of speed are defined as one or more persons competing in speed in excess of the applicable speed limit in vehicles on the public streets or highways.

Any person who violates the provisions of this section shall be guilty of a simple misdemeanor.
http://www.lawserver.com/law/state/iowa/ia-code/iowa_code_321-278

5. Speed violations.
a. For excessive speed violations in excess of the limit
under section 321.236, subsections 5 and 11, sections 321.285, and
461A.36, the scheduled fine shall be the following:
(1) Ten dollars for speed not more than five miles per hour in
excess of the limit.
(2) Twenty dollars for speed greater than five but not more than
ten miles per hour in excess of the limit.
(3) Thirty dollars for speed greater than ten but not more than
fifteen miles per hour in excess of the limit.
(4) Forty dollars for speed greater than fifteen but not more
than twenty miles per hour in excess of the limit.
(5) Forty dollars plus two dollars for each mile per hour of
excessive speed over twenty miles per hour over the limit.
b. Notwithstanding paragraph "a", for excessive speed
violations in speed zones greater than fifty-five miles per hour, the
scheduled fine shall be:
(1) Twenty dollars for speed not more than five miles per hour in
excess of the limit.
(2) Forty dollars for speed greater than five but not more than
ten miles per hour in excess of the limit.
(3) Sixty dollars for speed greater than ten but not more than
fifteen miles per hour in excess of the limit.
(4) Eighty dollars for speed greater than fifteen but not more
than twenty miles per hour in excess of the limit.
(5) Ninety dollars plus five dollars for each mile per hour of
excessive speed over twenty miles per hour over the limit.
c. Excessive speed in whatever amount by a school bus is not
a scheduled violation under any section listed in this subsection.
d. Excessive speed in conjunction with a violation of section
321.278 is not a scheduled violation, whatever the amount of excess
speed.

e. For a violation under section 321.295, the scheduled fine
is thirty dollars.
http://coolice.legis.iowa.gov/Cool-ICE/default.asp?category=billinfo&service=IowaCode&input=805.8A

swalsh411

Your parents are legally obligated to provide for your basis needs until you turn 18. So yes you can afford to lose your license. Hopefully this will be a long, hard lesson for you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">