• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Intersection cameras - court had no record, I owe $700 and my license is suspended.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

toyotadriver

I received a letter in the mail from the Courts with a photo of me running a red light. Before my court date, I called to exend my court date because I was in an 2 week certification course for work, and missing any part of it would mean not getting my certification (very expensive course also).

So, the lady at the clerks desk found no record of my citation. She said I was to receive in the mail, a bill with the amount due and if I would be eligible for traffic school. I never received this bill.

She referred me to the company that takes the intersection photographs. They too did not find reference to my citation number.

Today I received a bill for $700. I called the company and explained the situation, and the man on the phone said my license has been suspended and won't get reinstated until I pay the amount in full. I said I'd see a judge and explain my situation and that I'm not paying $700. He said I have no option but to pay the amount in full, the judge would refer me back to the company, and I would have to pay the $700. This really makes me feel like I've been taken advantage of. Any advice about how to take care of this would be helpful. I have no problem admitting fault for the violation and paying the normal fine, but $700 and a suspended license for the events that took place is totally unfair.

Thanks very much for any help you may have to give.

This was in Ventura County, California.
The name of the collection agency is GC Services Limited Partnership
The name of the traffic photography outfit is Redflex Traffic Systems INC
15020 N 74th Street, Scottsdale, Arizona, 85260
The court is the Ventura County Superior Court.

I have no problem admitting fault for this and fully intended to pay the original fine.

Last edited:

toyotadriver

sorry

That seems to be unrelated to traffic cases and this forum topic. I hope your problem is solved. Good luck, we both need it.

xylene

toyotadriver said:
and the man on the phone said my license has been suspended and won't get reinstated until I pay the amount in full. I said I'd see a judge and explain my situation and that I'm not paying $700. He said I have no option but to pay the amount in full, the judge would refer me back to the company, and I would have to pay the $700.
Well his job is to get you to pay!

Is your license in fact suspended? Check with the DMV.

If it is suspended, it is possible you will have to pay in full, then go to court.

Write your elected officials and voice your opposition to red light camera.

sukharev

Ignore the idiot, who has no brain but plenty of spare time.

Your mistake was (as you know) not to complete your request for continuance. You could easily fax the ticket to court and they would have entered it into the system. Never trust the phone conversation, everything has to be in writing.

Now, that said, the first thing to do is, in fact, call the court to find out how you can fix the situation. It's not collectors who suspends your license, it's the court. I would suggest trying to appeal the decision, if it's possible. May not be (if the ticket says you waive your right to hearing if not responding to ticket within certain time). Again, ask the court.

toyotadriver

sukharev said:
Ignore the idiot, who has no brain but plenty of spare time.

Your mistake was (as you know) not to complete your request for continuance. You could easily fax the ticket to court and they would have entered it into the system. Never trust the phone conversation, everything has to be in writing.
How can I complete a request for continuance if there was no record of my violation. That is the dilemma at hand. I was unable to get a continuance because my violation didn't exist in the eyes of the court and the traffic ticket agency at the time of my request.

sukharev

Like I said, you could just fax the ticket or send the copy by fedex/ups/whatever. Everything is done in writing, and then the court clerk would tell you next steps (also in writing). You can request continuance at any time, and regardless if the ticket is in the system or not. This way, if it's not, they respond to you in writing, and there is a paper trail.

Not sure if it's relevant now, sounds like your trial date has passed. Call the court to find out what can be done at this point.

Pugilist

Don't give the coll agency one red cent.

Contact the court, ask for an arraignment date. This will stay any suspension. Go to that arraignment and explain your situation to the judge. He will remove most or all of the extra fees.

Pug

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">