• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Interstate tickets

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

smcsheriff

What is the name of your state? CALIFORNIA

Hello. I was pulled over in the state of Colorado and was given a ticket worth of 10 points of violations. 6 points for speeding, and 4 points for making a pass in a posted "do not pass" zone. The state police was on the opposite side of the freeway when he "saw me" committing such acts. I have never before travelled to Colorado, and it was my first time driving in that area. This is my second ticket I have ever recieved. I am a California resident. I was wondering : are all 10 points going to be transferred to my california driving record? Can I take traffic school to dramatically reduce the number of points? Is it possible to argue against this ticket? I am considering hiring an attorney to subpeona any evidence ( Radar, notes, video or audio footage) Court date is May 3rd

My first ticket:: Also, I recieved a ticket for going 55 in a 50 MPH zone in RENO NEVADA. (I am an unlucky person, Lol) is it possible to have this one dismissed? 55 in a 50 is the weakest and most ridiculous ticket I have ever heard or seen. (will these points as well transfer to my california driving record) (court date is march 29)

If i take traffic school, should i apply it to my 55 in a 50 in NV or my 10 pt ticket in Colorado?

DRTDEVL

For the first ticket, whatever point value CA deems fit for the offense is what transfers. Every state has their own point value, so you need to find out what the DMV assesses (probably not 10 points, unlees it was some real serious stuff).

The second ticket has a good defense, but the Judge must be open-minded for it to work. The best radar units on the market are only accurate +-2 mph. Your vehicle manufacturer has an accuracy limit for the speedometer (you need to find that out, too). So if your vehicle's speedo is accurate within 6%, it could read 50 when you travel 53 mph. The radar unit's accuracy window is 50-55 mph at that speed.

Any questions?

lwpat

It would be to your advantage to hire an attorney to contest the Colorado speeding tickets. The traffic laws in Colorado are very different from California. An attorney is your only hope and you cannot do discovery:

All methods of speed detection are recognized and you do not have the right of discovery at the traffic court level. The rules of evidence also do not apply and your case will usually be heard by a referee.
Colorado Speeding Ticket

Call the clerk of court in Nevada and see if they report the ticket back to California. I am pretty sure they do not or they may allow you to take online traffic school. If they do not report, it will not show on your record and there will be no points or insurance increase.

seniorjudge

lwpat said:
It would be to your advantage to hire an attorney to contest the Colorado speeding tickets. The traffic laws in Colorado are very different from California. An attorney is your only hope and you cannot do discovery:

Colorado Speeding Ticket

Call the clerk of court in Nevada and see if they report the ticket back to California. I am pretty sure they do not or they may allow you to take online traffic school. If they do not report, it will not show on your record and there will be no points or insurance increase.
I agree; get a lawyer in Colorado to try to get you a non-point violation. It will be a lot more expensive than just paying the ticket, but worth it in the long run since your insurance rates will not increase.

As far as fighting the ticket, you didn't post any info which would show that you had a valid defense, so forget that.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">