• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Invalid Citation- Wrong State, Name, License

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

fierrogt

State: Georgia

In May, I was pulled over for "failure to stop at a stop sign". The angle the officer had was questionable, but I do not expect that to hold in court. However, he did absolutely butcher the citation. I am almost certain that the errors are grounds for dismissal (correct me if i'm wrong), but I am not certain how to defend myself i.e. what exactly to say and when to say it. I have already been through the normal traffic court/arraignment and now have an appearance in trial court. The following is a list of the errors on the citation:

Improper State of License Plate (It lists Georgia, Mine is Florida)
Improper State of Driver License (Same, GA not FL)
Wrong Name (My name is BMF, it is listed as MFB)
Also, the court has me in the system as MB. Is there anything I should do about that.

Thanks for the help,
B

Last edited by a moderator:

Hey There

fierrogt

Go to Speeding Ticket FAQ on Google and scroll to Will errors on the ticket result in the charges being dropped?. This should answer your question.
Certainly the errors on the citation would put into question the officer's powers of observation.
Pictures of where the officer was at when he viewed the alleged violation can prove helpful in contesting a violation if his view was obstructed.

Best regards,
Hey There

racer72

2 points.
1. Your citation is defective, not invalid. This is a big difference, especially in front of a judge.
2. If you ask for a dismissal, ask for a dismissal with prejudice. Lots of folks forget the last 2 words then end up with a fresh and correct citation soon after their day in court.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">