• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Involved in rear endin accident

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

allrejected89

What is the name of your state? WA

I was coming down a steep hill, doing probably 15 in a 25... there is a traffic light at the bottom of the hill. I hit the car in front of me when he came to a sudden stop. There was not any damage to his car, but my 93 Acclaim acquired a bit of damage from where it hit the SUV. Anyhow, the ticket was written for "speed too fast to avoid collision". This is not the case. If anything I was following too closely. More to the truth I was late to break. What are my chances of contesting this? I don't know why the police officer did not cite me for "following too close". There were no skid marks or anything to indicate that my speed was too fast. Thoughts???

allrejected89 said:
What is the name of your state? WA

I was coming down a steep hill, doing probably 15 in a 25... there is a traffic light at the bottom of the hill. I hit the car in front of me when he came to a sudden stop. There was not any damage to his car, but my 93 Acclaim acquired a bit of damage from where it hit the SUV. Anyhow, the ticket was written for "speed too fast to avoid collision". This is not the case. If anything I was following too closely. More to the truth I was late to break. What are my chances of contesting this? I don't know why the police officer did not cite me for "following too close". There were no skid marks or anything to indicate that my speed was too fast. Thoughts???
When you think about it, one can follow too close, and luck still saves them from collision. After a rear end collision, however, it would be practically impossible to prove you were not traveling too fast to avoid it. Clearly, you don't want 15 mph to sound as though you were maybe flying like a mad man, but the facts are not misstated in the citation. Have you checked the Washington laws to see if another numbered violation better fits your case?

Bcar1463

technically I believe the "too fast to avoid" would work in this situation. The way the officer probably thought it, at the distance you were following the other car, you were going too fast (even though it was under the speed limit). The too fast to avoid collision is a blanket charge for collisions, because obviously if you hit something, you were going too fast avoid hitting it. Ex: someone driving in the rain hydroplanes and hits a barrier, they could be cited for "too fast to avoid collision" because they were not going to slow enough to prevent hydroplaning. But really following too closely would apply as well. Officer's disgression.

allrejected89

I have not checked to see if another violation would better fit. I remember when my friend rear ended me, she was sited for "Following too closely". Where would I find the violation codes to research this? Thanks again for any advice or comments.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">