• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Judge made an error

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

manickmj

New York

I went to court and had 4 tickets. Two of the tickets had points on them, speeding (4 points) and I think Registration expired (2 points) (or it was the no inspection) The judge stated that the speeding was 4 points and zero points on the other 3. Well I was going to pay the tickets on line and I noticed that one of them showed 2 points and the speeding was 4 points. I then recieved in the mail a bill for assesment points being that it was over 4 points. the question is, if the judge told me incorrect information does that void the points or the ticket? The information should be recorded in the court notes right?

swalsh411

No. Judges make mistakes and that doesn't get you off the hook for the consequences of the tickets.

If this was a case where the maximum allowable points was 4 and the Judge decided to assess 6 then you would have a leg to stand on, but in this case the legally correct points are being levied for the tickets you received.

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
You don't seem to understand this. What are all the charges you were guilty of?

Inspection and registration violations are no points.

Also, in the case of NY you need to be more specific about location. NYC, parts of Suffolk County, Syracuse, and Buffalo have a different court system which is administrative in nature. It's called the Traffic Violations Bureau.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">