• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Jurisdiction?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Kottonmouth_420

What is the name of your state? Iowa/Illinois

Here's the background: I live in Illinois, work in Iowa. I've lived in Iowa before. My license is still for Iowa as well. I was pulled over for speeding in an area where I'd say most of the people speed, because it is a long stretch of road and not a lot on it. I was pulled over for going 52MPH in a 35MPH zone. The officer dropped the speed to 45MPH. I'm not really trying to be an ass, I know I was speeding. I don't know if he could have really clocked me at that speed, as I don't think I was going that fast but I will admit I was near 45MPH. My real problem here is I don't think that the officer that pulled me over was in his jurisdiction. But I have no idea if there is a certain cooperation in this area because it's the Quad Cities and Davenport and Bettendorf pretty much run into each other. According to the addresses of the businesses that were nearby I was pulled over in Davenport, by a Bettendorf police officer. Is there such a thing as a police officer not being able to cross the city limits for a ticket? And I really wanted to get lunch at KFC, but I couldn't make it there and back in 1/2 hr and still be able to sit down and eat my food and get some smokes. It's not that I don't want to admit that I was wrong, even though that is a pretty slow speed for a road of that size, I just really cannot afford this now. I've had some tickets in the past and I'm still covered under my parents insurance because I don't think that I could afford it on my own. The ticket isn't too high of a price, but I've just moved into a new home and have been spending a lot of money trying to make it a nice home. And I'm scared that because of this I won't be able to afford the bills. Any advice please?

Last edited:

racer72

Any advice please?
Quit watching the Dukes of Hazzard. Generally, it is where the infraction occurred, not where you are pulled over that determines jurisdiction. Also, many police agencies have jurisdictional agreements. I would suggest talking to a local attorney, you might have a miniscule chance of using your argument to get out of the ticket.

Kottonmouth_420

Never actually watched it.

I've never actually seen the Dukes of Hazzard myself, besides the movie. It's kind of before my time. I just remember seeing it before. I figured that they may have some kind of jurisdictional agreement, considering how close the cities are together. Like I said, I'm more worried about my insurance than anything else. I've kept my record pretty clean for the past couple of years.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">