• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Jurisdiction/location issues

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

JediCheese

I got a ticket for speeding (16 over in a 55 zone - no modifiers) a few month ago in Wisconsin.

He charged me under a local municipal ordinance. The basic research I have been able to do shows me that I might have been out of his jurisdiction and been outside of the city at that time (the road only dips into the city for a few miles).

The other issue is that he got the location horribly wrong on the ticket, it puts me about 2-3 miles away from where it actually happened. Unfortunately, the nearest trial date I would be able to make it to would sometime in May (I'm currently at school in another state) so it's possible he's not going to remember what happened.

Would a combination of these two factors be worthwhile to follow up at trial or no (individually, they are a weak defence but together they might be worth something)? Should I bring them up at my pre-trial conference or should I use them as surprises during the trial?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">