• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Just bought truck, ticketed 4 no ins. next day while stopped for a speeding ticket...

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

N

Nathan2002

I live in the state of Arizona. Several days ago i purchased a '79 chevy luv. While driving my speedometer stopped working and maybe 20 minutes down the highway I was stopped by Arizona Highway patrol. When he came to my window all he said was that he stopped me for my speed. Beings that my speedometer was not working I had no clue how fast I was even going. He did not bother to ask if I knew why he stopped me but just said "I stopped you for your speed" He then proceeded to ask me for my license, registration and proof of insurance. I explained to him that I bought the truck the previous day and had only had the time to register it so far and had planned to switch the insurance from my other car to the chevy later that day or possibly the next day. On top of that I did not have my seatbelt on. Well he gave me a ticket for not having proof of insurance, doing ten over the speedlimit which happened to be a construction area with workers present and a ticket for not wearing my seatbelt. When i registered the truck DMV told me I have 30 days to put insurance on it. Whats the deal? Also, shouldnt the officer have given me a "fix it ticket" considering my speedometer just stopped working and I had no clue that I was speeding? Also, since my other car was not in working condition and I was driving the chevy and it I had just purchased it dont I have some sort of small period of time to get insurance on the vehicle?

lwpat

"Also, shouldnt the officer have given me a "fix it ticket" considering my speedometer just stopped working and I had no clue that I was speeding?"

It is your responsibility to know your speed. If your speedometer is broken throw out a log and count the knots. The officer has no way of knowing anything about your speedometer. When you get it fixed take the repair invoice with you to the court and hope the judge in a good mood.

"When i registered the truck DMV told me I have 30 days to put insurance on it."

That doesn't mean that you can drive it without insurance.

" Also, since my other car was not in working condition and I was driving the chevy and it I had just purchased it dont I have some sort of small period of time to get insurance on the vehicle?"

Not if you are drivng it. That is illegal and you now have written proof.

Since you are transferring insurance get your agent to give you an insurance card on the truck. It might show your original policy dates. Take it to the clerk and see if she will dismiss the ticket.

My suggestion would be to obtain an Arizona Drivers Handbook and study the law before you get in more trouble.

racer72

Makes you wonder how some people pass their driver's test. I haven't seen an OP with this many lame excuses in a long time. Well a few weeks anyway.

C

coosi

When i registered the truck DMV told me I have 30 days to put insurance on it. Whats the deal?"

**In Arizona, you have 30 days to insure a just purchased vehicle...

Also, since my other car was not in working condition and I was driving the chevy and it I had just purchased it dont I have some sort of small period of time to get insurance on the vehicle?"

**...IF ALL vehicles in your name are insured, the newly purchased vehicle is covered under the existing policy. HOWEVER, if you have a non-running, uninsured vehicle, this does not apply

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">