• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Just had a hit-and-run! Now what do I do?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

W

wbodine112

What is the name of your state? New Jersey

I was in another town running an errand while my daughter was in karate class. I was doing the speed limit on the highway, heading back to pick her up, when another car came out of the shopping center without stopping and pulled out right in front of me. I swerved to avoid hitting her, but we tapped fenders, my front right to her rear left. She must have known she was in the wrong, because she crossed the highway PDQ and speed off. I followed her, jotting down her info as she went, and then she took an exit off the highway and was gone. I would have followed her, but I had to get to my daughter before the end of class. When I got home, I noticed a dent in my fender--nothing major, thank GOD, but enough to get my ire up. NOW what do I do? Do I call my insurance company? Do I call the police of MY town or the town where it happened? I got her lisence number and type of car. Please advise ASAP!! THANKS!!!

Some Random Guy

Seriously, You would think that you should know the answer to this before being allowed to get a drivers license.

When involved in a hit an run accident and your car is still drivable, stop at the nearest safe place with telephone service and call the police. Then call your insurance comany.

Since it has been many hours since the accident, call the police's non-emergency number tonight and get a report taken. For best service (during the day), you can even drive to the nearest highway patrol barracks.

W

wbodine112

Some Random Guy said:
Seriously, You would think that you should know the answer to this before being allowed to get a drivers license.

When involved in a hit an run accident and your car is still drivable, stop at the nearest safe place with telephone service and call the police. Then call your insurance comany.

Since it has been many hours since the accident, call the police's non-emergency number tonight and get a report taken. For best service (during the day), you can even drive to the nearest highway patrol barracks.
First of all, thank you so much for adding insult to injury. Now I remember why I don't come here more often for legitimate legal help. :mad:

Second, I would have done what you suggested, but as I said, I had to pick up my daughter, and had no one else to pick her up for me, and would have been fined by the karate studio if I was as late as filing a police report right then and there would have taken. :(

So third, I called the police's non-emergency number, and they tell me I have to come in to place the report anyway, even though the accident was only an hour (not "many hours" ago). :(

garrula lingua

OP: SomeRandom gave you very good advice.

As far as adding insult to injury, I was thinking the same thing he said about knowing that before beginning to drive.

You should have just thanked the guy for his help.

Two Bit

Technically, you both hit and ran. It's fone to follow to get the other driver's information. That was great, but when you left without filing a report, that's a potential problem.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">