• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

KCMO Careless Driving/Failure to Comply

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jm610

Kansas City, Missouri (I have a Kansas Driver's License)

I was charged with:
Careless Driving ORD. 70-301
Failure to Comply when Ordered to Stop ORD. 70-73

I'm likely going to be found guilty of both. I was driving when a police officer walked out into the street waving his arms over his head. He was dressed in all black winter clothes so I wasn't sure who he was or what he wanted at first and kept driving. After a couple seconds I realized he was probably some sort of officer who was trying to stop me but I still kept going. I saw him get behind me and knew I was about to be pulled over. His lights came on and I pulled over. I got arrested and bonded out at $1600. I was also charged with no having insurance but that was only because I was in handcuffs and my insurance card was in the car, I did have valid insurance at the time.

What sort of penalties should I be expecting? My driving record has one speeding ticket within the last 3 years. No DUIs. I have never been convicted of any other crime.

Is there any sort of defense for this or should I just plead guilty right away? Should I try to meet with the prosecutor?

I am certainly not rich, but is there any way to 'buy my way' out of this through paying increased fines? Going to jail or losing my license will likely end up costing me my job.

Thanks

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Kansas City, Missouri (I have a Kansas Driver's License)

I was charged with:
Careless Driving ORD. 70-301
Failure to Comply when Ordered to Stop ORD. 70-73

I'm likely going to be found guilty of both. I was driving when a police officer walked out into the street waving his arms over his head. He was dressed in all black winter clothes so I wasn't sure who he was or what he wanted at first and kept driving. After a couple seconds I realized he was probably some sort of officer who was trying to stop me but I still kept going. I saw him get behind me and knew I was about to be pulled over. His lights came on and I pulled over. I got arrested and bonded out at $1600. I was also charged with no having insurance but that was only because I was in handcuffs and my insurance card was in the car, I did have valid insurance at the time.

What sort of penalties should I be expecting? My driving record has one speeding ticket within the last 3 years. No DUIs. I have never been convicted of any other crime.

Is there any sort of defense for this or should I just plead guilty right away? Should I try to meet with the prosecutor?

I am certainly not rich, but is there any way to 'buy my way' out of this through paying increased fines? Going to jail or losing my license will likely end up costing me my job.

Thanks
Since your livelihood is at stake, you really NEED an attorney.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">