• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

keep getting pulled over for something legal- what can i do?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

lexcd

Hey everybody,

I'm from Rhode Island and have been pulled over several times for something the cops think is illegal, when in fact it isn't. And tonight, i got a ticket for it.

I have a cover on my rear license plate that distorts the tag at certain angles so that it cannot be read from red light cameras.

This isn't my pic (found it on google) but i have the same cover. From the left, half of the plate cannot be read. From the right, the other side cannot be read. And from above, the right side cannot be read.

http://i52.tinypic.com/npqj5i.jpg

However, from DIRECTLY behind, the plate is perfectly visible, not distorted in the least.

Tonight i was pulled over for flashing an oncoming car to let them know there was a cop a 1/4 mile back using radar. Come to find out, the car behind the car i was flashing was a cop. So, after he passed me he turned around and pulled me over. He wasn't to happy, and i could tell he was "looking" for things to charge me with. He ended up charging me with two citations, "multiple beam use" and "visibility of plates" after it caught his eye.

The RI law for "visibility of plates" reads:

"§ 31-3-12 Visibility of plates. – Each registration plate and the required letters and numerals on it, except the year number for which issued, shall be of sufficient size to be plainly readable from a distance of one hundred feet (100') during daylight. Violations of this section are subject to fines enumerated in § 31-41.1-4..."

Note that the literature doesn't specify at what angle(s) the plate must be visible at. Because from directly behind, the plate is perfectly visible. It's only at a sharp angle on either side that the plate becomes blurred. So, my plate is indeed visible from 100' feet or less during the day (and even at night), and therefore it should be legal. In fact, the literature of the law suggest its the letter "size" on the plate that's under scrutiny, not any covers that may alter the visibility.

I'm not worried about this ticket, as here in RI we have the "good driving record" pass that allows us to drop tickets if you haven't gotten one in a 3 year period, which i meet all of the requirements of. I'm more "annoyed" at the fact that i keep getting flack from cops about the plate cover. In 2005 when i got my license a cop mentioned it to me, but didn't ticket me for it. Tonight one actually did.

Is there some type of document i can keep in my car to show any future ignorant police officers that this cover is indeed legal according to the law here in RI? Maybe a letter from a judge or chief of police?

There is no law here in RI stating that license plate covers (in general) are illegal (as is true for some other states), the law above is the one restriction for plates.

Thanks for any input. And i know most of your responses will be on the end of, "remove the cover, dope!" but it's merely the principle of the thing... I like the cover and according to the literature of the law, i should be able to keep it.

Thanks guys!

CdwJava

If the officer was unable to read the plate as a result of the covering, then he can cite you for it. No document in the world would prevent an officer from citing for this in the future. If these covers obscure the view of the plate at certain angles, it will also obscure an officer's vision of the plate at certain angles, when sunlight reflects off of it, or when headlights reflect off of it.

You can go to court and argue that you don't believe the officer. We'll see who the court tends to believe.

asiny

OP, read STATE v ROBERT PLASSE.

Even on appeal he lost -
ignorance of the law is not an excuse for an individual to violate it.
Is there some type of document i can keep in my car to show any future ignorant police officers that this cover is indeed legal according to the law here in RI?
No. The law is very clear - just because you infer it means you must be able to read the license plate when directly behind the car... make reference to my appeals court quote above.

And "remove the cover, dope!"

justalayman

The RI law for "visibility of plates" reads:

"§ 31-3-12 Visibility of plates. – Each registration plate and the required letters and numerals on it, except the year number for which issued, shall be of sufficient size to be plainly readable from a distance of one hundred feet (100') during daylight. Violations of this section are subject to fines enumerated in § 31-41.1-4..."

Note that the literature doesn't specify at what angle(s) the plate must be visible at. Because from directly behind, the plate is perfectly visible. It's only at a sharp angle on either side that the plate becomes blurred. So, my plate is indeed visible from 100' feet or less during the day (and even at night), and therefore it should be legal. In fact, the literature of the law suggest its the letter "size" on the plate that's under scrutiny, not any covers that may alter the visibility.
Is that the section you were cited for?

If so, you need to ask them to amend it to the proper section:

§ 31-3-18 Display of plates – Penalties. – (a) Registration plates issued for a motor vehicle other than a motorcycle, trailer, transporter vehicle, in-transit vehicle, or a bailee engaged in a business as defined in § 31-1-17(a), or other than a motor vehicle owned by a duly authorized dealer in motor vehicles and which is used in the dealer's business shall be attached thereto one in the front and the other in the rear. The registration plate issued for a motorcycle, trailer, bailee, or a dealer's motor vehicle as defined in this subsection shall be attached to the rear of the vehicle.

(b) Every registration plate shall at all times be securely fastened in a horizontal position to the vehicle for which it is issued so as to prevent the plate from swinging at a height of not less than twelve inches (12") from the ground, measuring from the bottom of the plate; in a place and position to be clearly visible and shall be maintained free from foreign materials and in a condition to be clearly legible.

(c) Penalties. Any person who shall violate the provisions of this section shall be guilty of a violation and subject to a fine as enumerated in § 31-41.1-4.

(d) All vehicles registered as passenger, commercial, trailer, motorcycle, suburban, farm, combination, taxi, radio operator, camper, public, racer tow, jitney, and antique must have displayed on them the registration plate(s) as described in § 31-3-11. This subsection does not apply to those registrants in possession of an alternative design plate as described in § 31-3-60 or any other specially authorized plate described in this chapter
that means that any covering is actually illegal but I suspect they will let covers that do not obscure the plate in any way slide. Yours obviously causes the plate to not be legible, even if only from certain perspectives.

So, you can scream and holler all you want but the covering on your plate is clearly illegal so, either remove it or be subject to stops and tickets. Your choice.

Oh, I missed this statement:

There is no law here in RI stating that license plate covers (in general) are illegal (as is true for some other states), the law above is the one restriction for plates.
actually, there is and I cited it. A cover is a foreign material and as such, illegal and it is obvious your research in the law was inadequate as I cited an additional statute regarding restrictions for plates.

Last edited:

tranquility

While the OP could be guilty of many things, asiny's claim of STATE v ROBERT PLASSE seems on point to me and makes it clear he would be guilty of the cited offense.

justalayman

While the OP could be guilty of many things, asiny's claim of STATE v ROBERT PLASSE seems on point to me and makes it clear he would be guilty of the cited offense.
I agree although I still maintain that particular section of the law is being improperly applied and the section I cited would the the appropriate section.

An owner of a car has no ability to alter the size of the lettering in the plate and as the OP stated, that is what appears to be addressed in the section. The lettering is whatever size the state designs it to be and not subject to alteration by the car owner. If it is not visible due to the size of the lettering, there is nothing the car owner can do about it.

The issue is actually concerning an obscuration of the plate which is addressed in the section I cited.

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
I've seen this type of cover - it actually looks like a Fresnel lens and allows the plate to be read only directly from the rear. If there is any angle it's totally obscured.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">