• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

LA blocking intersection ticket

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

audreyweb

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
California.
Downtown LA, stopped at light, was second car in line at signal. Car ahead of me went on green light & stopped abruptly because police had a car stopped for ticket on right side just through intersection. I was stopped behind car ahead of me, when he went, I went and motorcyle cop waved me over. Ticketed me for "blocking intersection". I asked him if I should have backed up, or what I should have done in that case. he did not answer but ticketed me with Code 22526 Anti Grid Lock. I think I should/could fight this, not sure. Does it show up as moving violation or what?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
California.
Downtown LA, stopped at light, was second car in line at signal. Car ahead of me went on green light & stopped abruptly because police had a car stopped for ticket on right side just through intersection. I was stopped behind car ahead of me, when he went, I went and motorcyle cop waved me over. Ticketed me for "blocking intersection". I asked him if I should have backed up, or what I should have done in that case. he did not answer but ticketed me with Code 22526 Anti Grid Lock. I think I should/could fight this, not sure. Does it show up as moving violation or what?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
22526. (a) Notwithstanding any official traffic control signal
indication to proceed, a driver of a vehicle shall not enter an
intersection or marked crosswalk unless there is sufficient space on
the other side of the intersection or marked crosswalk to accommodate
the vehicle driven without obstructing the through passage of
vehicles from either side.

Did the light change from green to red before you were able to get through?

What you SHOULD have done is waited to enter the intersection until you knew there was enough room for you on the other side.

audreyweb

LA traffic ticket blocking intersection

thank you for the post. Yes, light turned red while in intersection stopped behind vehicle ahead of me. it seemed to be a "quota" day as one motorcycle & one police car had several pulled over right through that intersection. That is what caused the backup in the intersection, I think

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
thank you for the post. Yes, light turned red while in intersection stopped behind vehicle ahead of me. it seemed to be a "quota" day as one motorcycle & one police car had several pulled over right through that intersection. That is what caused the backup in the intersection, I think
Well, quotas are patently illegal in California.

Perhaps the police were there because of people who enter the intersection without having enough room to proceed, as required by law? :rolleyes:

CdwJava

One should not proceed across the intersection without it being clear to proceed. If the police have someone stopped on the other side, and it is clear you can not proceed, he needs to wait.

Perhaps you can argue that you did not see the obstruction and the roadway appeared clear from your vantage point until you entered the intersection behind the other car ... but, it might be hard to explain how you missed the car with the flashing lights on the other side of the intersection.

- Carl

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">