• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Lane Possession?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Exarch

What is the name of your state? Georgia

I was involved in an accident thismorning. I was changing lanes, was 90% (not exagerating) in the destination lane, and the person I was moving in front of hit me. All damage is on my rear bumper, his front; again, indicating that I was in the lane, not like the damage is on the side of our cars, etc.

No ticket was issued, but the cop indicated that the report would likely say I was at fault as I did not have "possession of the lane". What constitutes possession? 4 wheels in the lane boundry? I had 1 wheel a few inches still in the other lane. Or > 50% of the car in the destination lane, etc?

Thanks.

CdwJava

Exarch said:
What is the name of your state? Georgia

I was involved in an accident thismorning. I was changing lanes, was 90% (not exagerating) in the destination lane, and the person I was moving in front of hit me. All damage is on my rear bumper, his front; again, indicating that I was in the lane, not like the damage is on the side of our cars, etc.

No ticket was issued, but the cop indicated that the report would likely say I was at fault as I did not have "possession of the lane". What constitutes possession? 4 wheels in the lane boundry? I had 1 wheel a few inches still in the other lane. Or > 50% of the car in the destination lane, etc?

Thanks.
The vehicle IN the lane when you were merging had possession of the lane. By your admission you were not entirely within the lane. It is incumbent upon the driver merging or turning to do so safely.

Sorry, but your out of luck here. Be thankful that there is no ticket involved.

- Carl

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">