• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Laser gun speeding ticket

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Jackie61

What is the name of your state? Florida

I was caught in a speed trap! I haven't had a ticket in 26 years! It was 7:30 am, the sun was low and extremely bright. I drive a silver Expedition. The speed limit was 30 and they said I was doing 50! I never drive that fast, ( I was probably doing 40, yes still guilty but 20 miles over is really bad!) I have been doing some research about laser's and innacuracy. Could the sun and the blinding reflection on my car have messed up the laser? I can't even look at the car when the sun is on it. Every car that was pulled over while I was stopped was either silver or white. The police officer was standing on the side of the road and aiming the gun. It was not on a tripod and I read it is extremely difficult to keep steady aim like this. Since I admit I was speeding, should I fight this in court for a lesser amount or just go to traffic school (no points). Also, does the ticket have to state the distance that the laser gun information was taken. Mine doesn't. Thanks!

Last edited:

CdwJava

Jackie61 said:
Could the sun and the blinding reflection on my car have messed up the laser?
No.

I can't even look at the car when the sun is on it.
The laser isn't using an optical receptor like your eye so the reflection of the sun isn't relevant.

The police officer was standing on the side of the road and aiming the gun. It was not on a tripod and I read it is extremely difficult to keep steady aim like this.
Not really. It's best if braced, but it can be done just fine in hand.

Since I admit I was speeding, should I fight this in court for a lesser amount or just go to traffic school (no points).
That's up to you. but if you intend to fight the ticket by challenging the accuracy of the radar, you had best set aside the money for an expert attorney and an expert witness or two. This is not something that can generally be fought on your own.

However, I am not from FL so there may be some fancy loopholes for lidar that I am not aware of out there.

Also, does the ticket have to state the distance that the laser gun information was taken. Mine doesn't. Thanks!
That would be state law specific, but I've never heard of range having to be added on to the cite or the prosecution anywhere ... it might be necessary, but I would tend to doubt it.

- carl

Jackie61

Thanks Carl, I think I'll just pay (178.00) and take traffic school. Sounds like a waste of time and energy, which I don't have right now... ;)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">