• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Lawyer backing out at last minute

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

susique

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? PA
My son got a speeding ticket and has pleaded not guilty. He has a court date tomorrow and his lawyer just called him to see if he could go by himself. My son already retained the lawyer and sent him a check for his services. What does my son do now that the lawyer says he can't represent him. My son has nothing preparded to defend himself because the lawyer told him he'd just have to show up and the lawyer would take care of everything.
what does my son do now?

I_Got_Banned

Your son goes to court tomorrow, tell the judge exactly what happened and requests an extension (a continuance) so that he can find new representation.

justalayman

and unless the guy has actually spent money on doing something, seek a refund. Along with that, if the lawyer has a problem with it, file a complaint with the Bar Association.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">