• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

which lawyer to hire: ticket in PA, live in NY, license from TX

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mr.wu

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NY, TX, PA

I was ticketed on PA turnpike i70 east and wish to fight this as NY insurance rate is very high for me already. I have not converted my TX license and still insured in TX. I was ticketed while moving from TX to NY. I am guessing that insurance companies will find out even if I now change my license to NY.

Thanks.

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NY, TX, PA

I was ticketed on PA turnpike i70 east and wish to fight this as NY insurance rate is very high for me already. I have not converted my TX license and still insured in TX. I was ticketed while moving from TX to NY. I am guessing that insurance companies will find out even if I now change my license to NY.

Thanks.

How are your NY insurance rates high if you are still insured in TX?

You are required by NYS law to have a NYS license and registration once you establish residency here. If you fail to notify your insurance company you have moved then you leave yourself open to having your coverage dropped if you get into an accident in NY and your insurance company finds out you are playing the "I still live in Texas" game.

The state you are licensed in shouldn't matter in terms of an insurance company checking your driving record.

mr.wu

>> How are your NY insurance rates high if you are still insured in TX?

Before buying insurance I get a quote. That's how I know it's high.

>>You are required by NYS law to have a NYS license and registration once you establish residency here.

I know that too.

The main reason I buy insurance is to comply with state laws in registering car not to get hypothetical coverage in a hypothetical accident.

Maestro64

I am assuming you got ticketed by the PA state police since you were on the turnpike. Generally this tickets are bit harder to win since the PSP generally will not negotiate the ticket down to something lesser and second the courts see the PSP as highly trained and Radar is always right. Plus the PSP use stationary radar and do not play games like other states do with radar.

What you really need to find out is what TX does when you get an out of state ticket. Some state do not bother to assign any points to out of state tickets. If that happens then NY may never find out you had a ticket in PA, the only way they would find out is if you failed to pay or address the ticket like fight and win. NY would have no reason to check with PA using your TX license to check and see if you had a ticket there and since PA does not know you are moving to NY they will not reported it to NY only to TX.

Finding a lawyer in PA will depend on where the ticket was issued. Since much of the Turnpike is out in the middle of nowhere you will need to look at where the court that is assigned to your ticket is located and see if you can find a lawyer near that location. Most PA ticket require a visit to the Magistrate's office, that is why you would need a local Lawyer. There is no wheeling and dealing over the phone unless the lawyer has a relationship with the court

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">