• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Leaving the Scene of an Accident

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

gaoneal

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Pennsylvania

I was driving down the alley where I live and there was two trucks parked in the alley, one on each side of the alley. as I approached closer, I did not think I could make it through and started to back up when a neighbor came out and started guiding me through and that I had enough clearance between the two trucks. as I was clearing, my mirror clipped the other neighbors mirror and causing it to crack. I got out of my van and saw no glass was around, no major damage and no one hurt. I was talking to my neighbor who was guiding me through and asked him where I might get a mirror as I just moved in 2 months prior. He told me at the dealer, so I took note of the truck details and said I'll go get one and left and thought nothing more of it and never had an accident before. While i was having dinner at a local restaurant, a police officer called and asked why I did not stop, which I told him this same story. He told me that I left the scene of an accident and that he could cite me for that. He said that as long as I got wityh my neighbor and took care of it, that it would not be an issue. On my way home from dinner, I became furios as to why this neighbor would even call the police for a broken mirror and he knew who did it, considering the office knew my name and had my phone number. Right when i got home I got a pen and paper, wrote my name and phone number, along with my insruance agents name and number and handed it to the neighbor whose mirror I hit. I was actually appalled by the actions of this neighbor and felt it was done in spite due to issues between my current roommate and I, and they are friends. Can any charges still be pressed against me and if so, what is the normal penalty for this? I totally cooperated with the police and give him my, full name, address, vehicle make and model, VIN, insurance company and policy#.

justalayman

it sounds like there isn't going to be any charges based on what the cop said.

as to being upset: it's not clear from your description but is the neighbor that was guiding you the owner of the car you hit? If not, why would you not expect the owner of the car to be upset and make a police report?

It sounds from your post you gave insurance information to the cop. Did you also give it to your neighbor? It doesn't sound like from what you posted that you'd be in trouble legally. Just let the insurance company work it out and don't try to squeeze your car through such a tight spot next time. :)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">