• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Leaving The Scene Of An Accident, Careless Driving

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

demanch

NJ

I got into a minor "bump" back in January when it snowed heavily and the roads were slippery. i spinned into a car on the otherside of the road and i got out to check damage, NONE, i told the guy i was sorry for bumping into him and expected he would get out of car. He did not i figure everything was alright as he did not even show any interest. 2 Days later after i calmly left the scene to go to work, as i was running late, since no action was taken by him to even check his car, i got 3 tickets in the mail 1. CARELESS DRIVING: ENDANGERING 2. LEAVING SCENE and 3. FAILURE TO REPORT....I called local police and they asked for my insurance policy and i didn't give them so they sent me another for NO INSURANCE...I have since go for pleading and showed my INSURANCE card, that is dropped, but Judge stated the fines and adviced i get a lawyer, since this was a serious offence in NJ....i was wondering, since i plead NOT GUILTY, do i really need a lawyer to argue or isn't he going to try and work out a plea bargain to a lesser charge with no points? Can't i do this my self? HELP! I can't really afford to pay a lawyer and pay hefty fines he would ammend for me..does it make sense to get a lawyer for this? Besides i'm thinking of going to law school this is a good way to learn plea bargaining..How do i go about it????

jity

Well for starters, since you want to learn about laws - Cut and paste each (The ones you received) of your city violation(s) meanings into a post. Then we can all decide if you have a way out. Knowing what the law reads is a good start. I would do it but cities are different.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">