• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

left hand turn on yellow

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Debbie7bob

What is the name of your state? Michigan

I made a left hand turn on a yellow light. The police officer said she was writing me up for obstruction of traffic because there would be no points. My question is ... Is is illegal to make a left on a yellow light? For some reason I didn't know that was illegal.

The ticket was issued on the last day of the month, which made it suspicious. I don't know whether to go in and try to fight it, or be happy with obstruction of traffic? The police officer claims I hadn't cleared the intersection before she had a green light in the opposing traffic.

Thanks for any advice.

I'm unsure about MI traffic law, but In OR, a yellow light acts as a red, unless it is unsafe to stop. By what you said, it appears this is similar to MI. If so, she could have wrote you for failing to obey a traffic control device. Obstruction of traffic would be a very good charge in comparison to that. Insurance companies may not freak out about obstructing as much as running a traffic light.

Debbie7bob

yellow light

Thanks so much for your advice on the left turn on yellow. Looks like I should be greatful and just pay it.

It's great that you take the time to offer your knowledge and advice.

Have a great weekend.

efflandt

If a light turns yellow when you are already in the intersection, you should clear the intersection. However, it can be disconserting when you cannot tell when oncoming traffic is going to stop, or not. We frequently have people blow straight through intersections after their light has gone totally red.

That is why many lights have a delay between the time one turns red and the next turns green. Although, older signals might switch red and green at same time. Or maybe the delay at your intersection was set too short.

My sister got clobbered once making a left turn when she thought oncoming traffic was stopping. But a police officer in his rush to get to work came flying down the curb lane and struck her behind the rear axle (she almost made it). I think the only injury (besides mangled rear fender and punched gas tank) was that my brother in front passenger seat bruised his elbow.

If you were a little late entering the intersection I could see her wanting to give you some sort of ticket. But if you were just waiting for oncoming traffic to make its motives clear, better to be safe than sorry.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">