• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

left lane on highway

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

OP85063

In this case, OP was in the process of passing :rolleyes:
Is that right? I highlight if for you in-case you miss it. :rolleyes:

What is the name of your state? Ohio
Today, I was passing a truck and after I got past him I didn't feel like changing lanes because there was another truck to pass a quarter mile ahead. The driver immediately behind me didn't like my speed of 70mph (speed limit is 65 in Ohio) and rode my bumper. I never react to those people. Someone else in a red sedan decided they would go about 90 or so and pass on my right while honking their horn at me as if I were doing something wrong.

OP85063

Nope, that's the statement I was relying on too. :rolleyes:
"I didn't feel like changing lanes because there was another truck to pass a quarter mile ahead." - Originally Posted by syntax42

So then your saying it makes it legal because he didn't feel like switching lane?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
"I didn't feel like changing lanes because there was another truck to pass a quarter mile ahead." - Originally Posted by syntax42

So then your saying it makes it legal because he didn't feel like switching lane?
No, I'm saying that OP was in the process of passing another truck.

I'm done here - if you don't like the traffic laws, take it up with your legislators.

OP85063

No, I'm saying that OP was in the process of passing another truck.

I'm done here - if you don't like the traffic laws, take it up with your legislators.
:confused: He said, "I didn't feel like switching lane" he already pass one truck and not ready to pass the other, if he's doing 65 and the truck is doing 60, how long will it take for him to pass that truck?

here you go:

4511.25 Lanes of travel upon roadways of sufficient width.

(A) Upon all roadways of sufficient width, a vehicle or trackless trolley shall be driven upon the right half of the roadway, except as follows:

(1) When overtaking and passing another vehicle proceeding in the same direction, or when making a left turn under the rules governing such movements;

(2) When an obstruction exists making it necessary to drive to the left of the center of the highway; provided, any person so doing shall yield the right of way to all vehicles traveling in the proper direction upon the unobstructed portion of the highway within such distance as to constitute an immediate hazard;

(3) When driving upon a roadway divided into three or more marked lanes for traffic under the rules applicable thereon;

(4) When driving upon a roadway designated and posted with signs for one-way traffic;

(5) When otherwise directed by a police officer or traffic control device.

(B)(1) Upon all roadways any vehicle or trackless trolley proceeding at less than the prevailing and lawful speed of traffic at the time and place and under the conditions then existing shall be driven in the right-hand lane then available for traffic, and far enough to the right to allow passing by faster vehicles if such passing is safe and reasonable, except under any of the following circumstances:

(a) When overtaking and passing another vehicle or trackless trolley proceeding in the same direction ;

(b) When preparing for a left turn;

(c) When the driver must necessarily drive in a lane other than the right-hand lane to continue on the driver’s intended route.

(2) Nothing in division (B)(1) of this section requires a driver of a slower vehicle to compromise the driver’s safety to allow overtaking by a faster vehicle.

(C) Upon any roadway having four or more lanes for moving traffic and providing for two-way movement of traffic, no vehicle or trackless trolley shall be driven to the left of the center line of the roadway, except when authorized by official traffic control devices designating certain lanes to the left of the center of the roadway for use by traffic not otherwise permitted to use the lanes, or except as permitted under division (A)(2) of this section.

This division shall not be construed as prohibiting the crossing of the center line in making a left turn into or from an alley, private road, or driveway.

(D) Except as otherwise provided in this division, whoever violates this section is guilty of a minor misdemeanor. If, within one year of the offense, the offender previously has been convicted of or pleaded guilty to one predicate motor vehicle or traffic offense, whoever violates this section is guilty of a misdemeanor of the fourth degree. If, within one year of the offense, the offender previously has been convicted of two or more predicate motor vehicle or traffic offenses, whoever violates this section is guilty of a misdemeanor of the third degree.

mwbarton

That that wild, baseless conclusion made me laugh! :rolleyes:
How would you consider such a fact to be a wild, baseless conclusion? Are you that naive to believe that keeping someone from passing on a highway would not provoke other behavior that could cause loss of life? David K. Willis, President of AAA Foundation for Traffic Safety testified back in 1997 before the House of Representatives Committee on Transportation and Infrastructure that the OP's actions are often cited as causes for road rage: http://commdocs.house.gov/committees/trans/hpw105-34.000/hpw105-34_0.HTM

Are you still amused?

occharge

First I cited Europe because the US highway system was based on the German Autobahn and the whole concept of a passing lane came from this original idea. The autobahn is the safest highway in the world and in some parts it has no speed limits. So why can they drive at 125 to 150 MPH on that road and the US can not seem to drive at 60 and not get in each others ways.

It is safer for couple of primary reasons, one it is designed properly, second it follows a standard set of rules, unlike the US which does have standards but every location implements them slightly different, and lastly their drivers are better (they spend six months in driving school before get a license) and follow the rules or run the risk of losing their license.

The sooner people realize speed limits have nothing to do with safety the better, it is first done because most people lack the real skills to drive. so the faster they go the more their poor skills show up. Second it is a great way to make money, it is a multi-billion $ industry in the US take it away and many towns will go bankrupt. Lastly is it the easiest and most visible thing police can do to show that they are trying to improve safety since bad driving is equated to speeding. Plus the police can sit and wait for speeders finding other infraction requires a lot more work.

Personally, if the police spent more time tagging tailgaters, lane switching, lane hogs and other activities that cause people to be overly defensive then driving the correct way we would have less of a problem on the highways.

The problem we have is not ever road in the country defines the left lane as passing, so in one state it illegal to hang in that lane and in another state it is ok. Same goes for merge lanes some places the merging lane yields and in other places they do not.

Lastly, hanging out in the passing lane is probable the least safe thing you can do, first the blind spot over your right shoulder is bigger than your left, second you imped traffic so again it causes people to do things which is outside the normal. No matter what speed you want to drive or can drive its always better to be in the right lane.
Took the words right out of my mouth! I would have edited my post in the same way as well!

Ozark_Sophist

OP was overtaking another vehicle (even if it was a quarter mile ahead), thus did not violate the law. The car flashing headlights did violate multiple laws (impersonating a law enforcement vehicle, unlawful use of high beams,etc.).

OP85063

OP was overtaking another vehicle (even if it was a quarter mile ahead), thus did not violate the law. The car flashing headlights did violate multiple laws (impersonating a law enforcement vehicle, unlawful use of high beams,etc.).
The OP state he "DIDN'T FEEL LIKE MOVING OVER"

How is that not unlawful, do you even know the distance of a 1/4?
He knew he was suppose to move over and he didn't the truck was 1/4 ahead of him.

My previous car use to do 12 + sec in the 1/4 Mile @ 98 MPH. He was doing 65-70MPH and the truck was going in hid direction also. So he know what he was doing, by not wanting to move over.

Ozark_Sophist

The OP state he "DIDN'T FEEL LIKE MOVING OVER"

How is that not unlawful, do you even know the distance of a 1/4?
He knew he was suppose to move over and he didn't the truck was 1/4 ahead of him.

My previous car use to do 12 + sec in the 1/4 Mile @ 98 MPH. He was doing 65-70MPH and the truck was going in hid direction also. So he know what he was doing, by not wanting to move over.
98 MPH is breaking the law in any jurisdiction. :rolleyes:

He didn't feel like changing lanes as he was overtaking another vehicle. He didn't violate the law. The people behind him did.

Ozark_Sophist

If OP was traveling at exactly 70mph while overtaking a vehicle one-quarter a mile ahead that was traveling at exactly 65mph, it would take 180 seconds (on the nose) for OP to come abreast of the slower vehicle.

OP85063

98 MPH is breaking the law in any jurisdiction. :rolleyes:

He didn't feel like changing lanes as he was overtaking another vehicle. He didn't violate the law. The people behind him did.
It was at the track, I can't remember the last place I see a 1/4 to clock your speed and time on the roadway? Have you?

The truck was 1/4 mile ahead of him dude. If that truck was doing 70 and he was doing 70 he's still not getting there, thus holding up traffic. Regardless if the person behind him is speeding(braking the law) SO IS HE.

Because one guy brake the law behind him, he decided to do it too. He basically didn't want to guy to pass him that's is why he didn't move over.

He should of moved over, and when he gets there to overtake the truck then move back over.

OP85063

If OP was traveling at exactly 70mph while overtaking a vehicle one-quarter a mile ahead that was traveling at exactly 65mph, it would take 180 seconds (on the nose) for OP to come abreast of the slower vehicle.
Neither, YOU, ME or HIM knows how fast the truck was going, so he should move and overtake him when he gets there.

Edit: So then if that's the case also he held up other people behind him for 3 minutes. Was he overtaking a train?

Last edited:

Echo1

The lions share of driving is actually more about courtesy than "rules". Plain and simple.

Whether you like it or not, you ARE the slower traffic of which you speak. And your rationale that you can't be the 'slower' traffic because no one's hit you in the rear end yet made me laugh out loud. Darlin', it's because their using this thing called BRAKES so that they DON'T hit you. Face it...people in the left hand lane speed and drive faster than 65. That's between them and their police officer.

You are not in control of someone else's speed. I get the very distinct impression that you're driving in the left hand lane because you're incredibly passive/aggressive. YOU feel that YOU can and will control other peoples driving. What you're doing is causing road rage and...in time...you are going to cause an accident. All because you think you need to be 'right'.

No..while it may not be entirely illegal for you to drive in the left hand lane going slower than all the other traffic around you, it does indeed make you a jerk. Like it or not. Really...why wouldn't you move over? Wait...don't tell me...you're also the person in the right hand lane at an on ramp that even though you CAN move to the left, you refuse to do so because you don't HAVE to. (No, you're not required to yield, the oncoming traffic is required to safely "merge"...but still) Yep...ya gotta be right. That's all that matters.

Hope you and the others involved survive the accident YOU cause....by being "right".

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">