• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Left trun green when started - red when safe to turn

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Roxy1_

PA Green when started left turn but red when finished my turn

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? PA

I approached the left turn light & it already had a green arrow light. I started to turn left but the oncoming highway traffic in the opposing lanes were not slowing down, so I waited in the intersection until it was safe to complete my left hand & by then it was dead red. Of course that was all the cop saw. I tried to explain I started turning left when light was green but he just couldn't contemplate that I had not fully turned w/ the green arrow for safety reasons.

He said traffic in other lane would have had a red light & they may well have had a red light but I wasn't about to get hit by cars doing 55 mph. I assume they saw their lanes left turn light's green arrow change to yellow & had no intentions of stopping because they knew the traffic going straight ahead would turn green any second. This was during afternoon rush hour on Dec. 14th. Everyone's in a rush to get home & add X-Mas stuff to be done. The next light has the local Wal-Mart.

Note - there were no cars stopped at the light in the opposing lanes, so no need for the oncoming cars to slow down or stop for other cars in their lanes.

Had I went & completed my turn normally when I had the green arrow, I know oncoming traffic would have had to jam on their breaks to stop, if that was even possible (I'm not quite so sure).

Sure I could've floored it to make the light w/o them hitting me but I don't drive that way. I try to be safe. This is my very first traffic ticket ever & I have been driving for over 25 years.

Cop says he let me off by writing citation for Statute 3111 Subsection A w/ $109.50 fine & no points.

How do I verify the no points part? And second, if I fight this, can the Magistrate give me 3 points for turning left on a red light?

I'd rather not get the 3 points & will pay the fine IF the Magistrate can impose 3 points back into the citation if I lose which can be the case since light was red when I finished my turn.

But if Magistrate can't tack the 3 points back on to the citation, I'd like to plead my case to them. But if they can impose 3 points, I'd rather just suck it up & pay the fine, even though, I know what I did was the safest way to go about turning at that specific time.

Thank You Very Much!

Last edited:

Roxy1_

I talked to the Magistrate today

He said he could decide either way if I pleaded not guilty to the offense.

He also said the officer does have the right to amend it from a no point 3111(a) offense back to a 3 point offense for turning on red light. So I'm just going to pay the fine & not chance it since it could really go either way.

Life isn't always fair but at least I know I did the right thing by waiting to complete my turn even though it'll cost me $109.50.

It's still better than getting hit by several cars doing 55mph just as their light is about to change to green for them. The oncoming cars would've been in the wrong for jumping the light but I would've lost by having my car totaled & I most likely would've been injured in the process.

Next time, the light jumpers might not be so lucky.

Alex23

I've never seen a green turn signal that didn't have all oncoming traffic stopped at a red light. That doesn't sound very safe.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
He said he could decide either way if I pleaded not guilty to the offense.

He also said the officer does have the right to amend it from a no point 3111(a) offense back to a 3 point offense for turning on red light. So I'm just going to pay the fine & not chance it since it could really go either way.

Life isn't always fair but at least I know I did the right thing by waiting to complete my turn even though it'll cost me $109.50.

It's still better than getting hit by several cars doing 55mph just as their light is about to change to green for them. The oncoming cars would've been in the wrong for jumping the light but I would've lost by having my car totaled & I most likely would've been injured in the process.

Next time, the light jumpers might not be so lucky.
Research your state's laws. I'll be that you're not supposed to ENTER the intersection if you cannot make it safely through before the light turns red.

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
Sounds like the light might be defective. A green turn arrow should also indicate that opposite bound straight-ahead traffic has a red light.

While state laws do vary, it makes no sense that you are not permitted to complete your turn when the light turns red for you. What were you supposed to do, backup out of the intersection? As long as you entered the intersection when the light was green you should have been fine.

Once again, that's as long as your vehicle was within the intersection.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
After re-reading the OP - I agree. Sounds like the signal might have been defective.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">