• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Left turn ca veh code 21801(a)

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Noodlenoggan

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

Hi all, I was waiting at a stop signal at 9pm waiting for the light to turn green. This signal intersection has a left turn light BUT for whatever reason, it did not turn on at the time of my citation. I'll have to check with city hall to find out if that left turn signal was non functioning. In any event, when the light turned green, I made my left turn thinking I saw the green left arrow. There were two vehicles on the opposite side that was about to go because their lights were green. They flashed their high beams at me and in panic, I quickly made the turn. They were not moving yet. Unfortunately, a police car happened to be right behind me making the same left turn. Of course, I was pulled over and cited. He said that it was normal for people to make the same mistake because they expected a left turn arrow like I was.

Here is the veh code:

21801.**(a) The driver of a vehicle intending to turn to the left or to complete a U-turn upon a highway, or to turn left into public or private property, or an alley, shall yield the right-of-way to all vehicles approaching from the opposite direction which are close enough to constitute a hazard at any time during the turning movement, and shall continue to yield the right-of-way to the approaching vehicles until the left turn or U-turn can be made with reasonable safety.

Clearly that's what I did. The ticket shows that code plus "unsafe lt turn".

Do I have a chance of winning if I fight it?

Thanks in advance!What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

OHRoadwarrior

On what basis will you fight it? Chances are the light worked, your vehicle was not positioned to trip the sensor. First question you will be asked, based on your defense, is did you sit through the light cycles long enough to determine the lights pattern, in order to safely turn. The answer is no, you did not.

asiny

There were two vehicles on the opposite side that was about to go because their lights were green. They flashed their high beams at me and in panic, I quickly made the turn. They were not moving yet. Unfortunately, a police car happened to be right behind me making the same left turn. Of course, I was pulled over and cited. He said that it was normal for people to make the same mistake because they expected a left turn arrow like I was.
So instead of waiting for the light - you panicked and made an illegal left. So you admit you made the turn illegally. What's the problem?
21801.**(a) The driver of a vehicle intending to turn to the left or to complete a U-turn upon a highway, or to turn left into public or private property, or an alley, shall yield the right-of-way to all vehicles approaching from the opposite direction which are close enough to constitute a hazard at any time during the turning movement, and shall continue to yield the right-of-way to the approaching vehicles until the left turn or U-turn can be made with reasonable safety.

Do I have a chance of winning if I fight it? (only U.S. law)?
But you never yielded to the right-of-way vehicles... you turned. You admit you turned. And you admit you were aware of the left-turn signal and that you jumped the gun;
In any event, when the light turned green, I made my left turn thinking I saw the green left arrow.
What, exactly, do you think you can fight for? You admit everything and are guilty of making the illegal turn.

Or are you going with the 'guilty, but with a good excuse' defence?

justalayman

I, too, am missing how you are not guilty of the charges:

The vehicles were close enough to constitute a hazard during your turning movement. It was only due to them paying attention to your actions was an accident avoided. You failed to yield ROW to them. You are guilty as charged.

It doesn't matter if the green arrow was functioning or not. You were faced with a green light which means you can go but since turning across the other lane, must yield to them. It's not like you never got any indication you could proceed. It's just that you thought you were going to get a green arrow...

and you were wrong.

I_Got_Banned

OP is also missing the point that the officer cited him for 21801, a violation that carries a fine of $233 whereas he could have also cited him for running a red light, a 21453(a) which carries a fine of $480.

You've already got your break... And face it, you have no defense whatsoever! Deal with it!!!

I_Got_Banned

Here is the veh code:

If you're really convinced that what you did was "clearly" the same thing required by the code section, then you really should reconsider ever getting behind the wheel ever again!

OP is also missing the point that the officer cited him for 21801, a violation that carries a fine of $233 whereas he could have also cited him for running a red light, a 21453(a) which carries a fine of $480.

You've already got your break... And face it, you have no defense whatsoever! Deal with it!!!
HAHAHA officer gave 'em a BREAK, really??? Well, the cop wrote what he wrote.

It will depend on the officer's testimony. If he says your turning created a hazard and only says this, you can object as it is a legal conclusion. Hopefully he just testifies that you turned w/o a green arrow then you'll win.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">