• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

left turn at red controled by sensor, bicycle

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

alex chiappetta

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California.

I was once told it is legal to turn left at red light while riding a bicycle IF the traffic signal is controlled by a sensor and IF the sensor does not detect the bike.

I am trying to verify if this is actually true.

I was told it is written in the vehicle code, but I cannot locate it there.

thank you -- alex.

CdwJava

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California.

I was once told it is legal to turn left at red light while riding a bicycle IF the traffic signal is controlled by a sensor and IF the sensor does not detect the bike.

I am trying to verify if this is actually true.

I was told it is written in the vehicle code, but I cannot locate it there.

thank you -- alex.
I am unaware of such a statute's presence in the CVC.

An officer may well cut a cyclist a break in such a situation, but, I do not believe there is any such thing in the CVC anywhere.

FlyingRon

I don't believe it exists either. Cyclists always have the option to dismount at intersections and become pedestrians.

There's no such rule. One tip is to lean your bike so the metal frame is close to the ground sensor.
How about he tows or pushes a car so it will activate.

As a cyclist, I just go when its safe in these situations. Never had an issue..and in a very big city (top 3 in USA).

tranquility

I've never had a problem with this either. But, maybe the OP does. He may not have your winning personality and is worried about getting a ticket. I presented a method I use to trigger the light if my stopping on the sensor line itself doesn't work. You see, just because a small subset of two have not had a problem does not make it legal. It is a moving violation which is expensive and goes on your driving record. Do you know how much running a red light can cost you in CA?

You Are Guilty

Happens fairly often on smaller motorcycles, too. Luckily, there is a semi-solution (doesn't always work, but should help quite a bit):
http://www.spotmotorcycles.com/traffic-red-light-changer-trip-sensor-magnet-motorcycle-moped-scooter-gadget-universal-mount/

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">