• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Left Turn from Three Lanes into Three Lanes

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

lb987

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? N. YS

At the intersection of Vandam St and Thomson Aveue/Queens Blvd (https://goo.gl/tgeyld), driving northbound on Vandam, I turned left from the middle lane into the middle lane on Thomson Avenue. The left lane is designated as left-turn only. The middle and right lanes are not designated at all. Moreover, there are two left-turn only green-lights, one that is aligned to the left-most lane and one aligned to the middle-lane. After safely turning, I was ticketed for violating VTL 1160 B.

All my research on 1160 B leads to discussions about turns in simpler configurations. Can anyone advise as to this situation and how to fight the ticket?

Thanks!

justalayman

I can't get a good view of the light in front of the ONLY turn lane but it appears to be one with a green arrow or a solid green light. Depending on whether the turn lane is given right away or has to yield to oncoming traffic the turn light would be on or the solid green.

I do not see any separate light for the center lane but other than that dual purpose light one other single light that would be applicable to the two straight through lanes.

I see nothing that even suggests the center lane (actually the left hand straight through lane) is also designated as a left turn lane. The lane markings are consistent with a single left turn lane and two straight through lanes.

The only thing I see is you made an improper left turn

FlyingRon

I agree with Justa. 1160 says that you must make left turns from the left most lane unless you are specifically directed otherwise. Nothing in the signage or pavement markings suggests that turns from the center of the three northbound lanes are legal. As Justa implies, the continuance of the stripes across the intersection imply that the center lane is the left-most through lane.

not2cleverRed

Obvious Observer
The left turn light that you described also does not seem to exist.

This is why I hate the tourist season - drivers like you come out to Long Island's East End and act like these are the actual rules. You are WRONG.

(b) Left turns on two-way roadways. At any intersection where traffic
is permitted to move in both directions on each roadway entering the
intersection, an approach for a left turn shall be made in that portion
of the right half of the roadway nearest the center line thereof and by
passing to the right of such center line where it enters the
intersection and after entering the intersection the left turn shall be
made so as to leave the intersection to the right of the center line of
the roadway being entered. Whenever practicable the left turn shall be
made in that portion of the intersection to the left of the center of
the intersection.

It really is that simple.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I can't get a good view of the light in front of the ONLY turn lane but it appears to be one with a green arrow or a solid green light. Depending on whether the turn lane is given right away or has to yield to oncoming traffic the turn light would be on or the solid green.

I do not see any separate light for the center lane but other than that dual purpose light one other single light that would be applicable to the two straight through lanes.

I see nothing that even suggests the center lane (actually the left hand straight through lane) is also designated as a left turn lane. The lane markings are consistent with a single left turn lane and two straight through lanes.

The only thing I see is you made an improper left turn
For a further nail in the coffin, there are even guidelines (white dashed lines) showing that the "middle" lane is supposed to continue straight ahead...

justalayman

For a further nail in the coffin, there are even guidelines (white dashed lines) showing that the "middle" lane is supposed to continue straight ahead...
Good catch

In addition, In all intersections (I have ever seen) where dashed lines are used like that there are dashed lines separating the two turn lanes, which is obviously not the case at that intersection.

I think op needs to accept he simply is wrong in this case and nothing supports his argument of there being two turn lanes.

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
This is a clear cut case of being wrong and being correctly ticketed.

You have NO basis to fight the ticket. None.

Left turns must ONLY be made from the left lane or the left-most portion of the roadway UNLESS there are traffic control devices (signs and/or pavement markings) present which over-ride that rule.

Bali Hai

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? N. YS

At the intersection of Vandam St and Thomson Aveue/Queens Blvd (https://goo.gl/tgeyld), driving northbound on Vandam, I turned left from the middle lane into the middle lane on Thomson Avenue. The left lane is designated as left-turn only. The middle and right lanes are not designated at all. Moreover, there are two left-turn only green-lights, one that is aligned to the left-most lane and one aligned to the middle-lane. After safely turning, I was ticketed for violating VTL 1160 B.

All my research on 1160 B leads to discussions about turns in simpler configurations. Can anyone advise as to this situation and how to fight the ticket?

Thanks!
If you choose to drive in NYC and are unfamiliar, you will eventually get a ticket, hands down.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">