• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Legal placement of speed limit sign

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

DEBLOLA2

What is the name of your state? Florida
Is the state of Florida allowed to put a speed limit sign anywhere in a residential subdivision? I was driving at 45mph outside of my daughters subdivision that was posted. When turning into her subdivision I lowered my speed to 35mph. I was pulled over by a motorcycle cop who gave me a ticket. 36 in a 20 which is a 183.50 fine. Backtracking, the only speed limit sign was about 20feet in the air in the center of a island dividing the two lanes. It was even covered by tree branches. You would not see this sign unless you saw it thru your peripheral vision. I am 55 years old and have not had a speeding ticket in over 20 years. I keep my eyes straight ahead when driving and did not see the 20mph sign. Should I go to court with my pictures or just pay the fine?

Hey There

AN ANSWER to your question

3-23-08

(3) POSTING OF SPEED LIMITS.--All speed zones shall be posted with clearly legible signs. No change in speeds from 30 miles per hour or from those established in s. 316.183 shall take effect until the zone is posted by the authority changing the speed pursuant to this section and s. 316.187. All signs which limit or establish speed limits, maximum and minimum, shall be so placed and so painted as to be plainly visible and legible in daylightor in darkness when illuminated by headlights.

(Source: Placement of speed limit signs in Florida typed in
Google search window and clicked on Florida Department of Transportation and clicking on residential speed limits as a link offered on the page.

If the stop sign or speed limit sign is not plainly visible a driver doesn't have the information he needs to comply with the law. It is a "Mistake of fact. "Enlarged photos, diagrams, where the officer was, where the citation was issued , witnessses and other pertinent information to establish in court that the sign was NOT clearly visible would show that a law cannot be complied with where a sign is obstructed.
Speeding Ticket--Fighting or Plea Bargaining website(type in on Google, then click on the website of the same name) gives additional information on preparing a proper defence including how to contest
a speeding violation.

Best Regards,
Hey There

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">