• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Legality of "Not Responsible" Bumper Sticker

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

KnownOne

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? TX

While driving on the interstate, I happened upon a truck carrying rubble with a sticker on the back stating, "Stay back 200 feet. Not responsible for damage," or something of that sort. Is this true? Does the display of this sticker automatically nullify laws concerning a driver's responsibility to adequately secure the contents of their vehicle (and the consequences should an accident happen)? If this is so, I want one! If it is not, why did these commercial "dump trucks" post this disclaimer?

CdwJava

The disclaimer has no legal foundation. I suppose if someone IS damaged, the owner of the truck can TRY to make such a defense that they had a warning sticker, but I doubt it will hold a heck of a lot of weight. A load is still required to be properly secured or covered and no manner of warning is going to absolve a person of liability. It might help mitigate some liability ... maybe ... but i do not think it will do too much.

DRTDEVL

Buying stickers in bulk? About $1 each.

Paying for a windshield? $150-1800 each.

Having even ONE driver not file against the company or it's insurance due to the sticker's presence is cost effective. It's all about saving money.

Yes, they are still liable... They hope you are gullible as well.

cyjeff

Let me ask you this.

If you put a bumper sticker on the back of your car that stated, "Back off. Driver not responsible for injury to your car or you in case of accident", would it protect them from all liability?

commentator

Yep, if you have even one driver who reads that one and says, 'Aw gee, even though that stupid truck threw off a gravel and cracked my windshield, they had that sticker that says they're not liable, so I can't go back on the company," it's worth the price of the sticker.

It is an awfully good idea to stay way behind these vehicles, anyway, to avoid the hassle and danger. Most of them are not secured properly, and are not mechanically sound, and it it takes a really long time for them to stop.

Mass_Shyster

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? TX

While driving on the interstate, I happened upon a truck carrying rubble with a sticker on the back stating, "Stay back 200 feet. Not responsible for damage," or something of that sort. Is this true? Does the display of this sticker automatically nullify laws concerning a driver's responsibility to adequately secure the contents of their vehicle (and the consequences should an accident happen)? If this is so, I want one! If it is not, why did these commercial "dump trucks" post this disclaimer?
I wonder is the sticker is even readable from 200 feet away.

If that's all it takes to avoid legal liability, I'm getting it tattooed on my forehead.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">