• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Legitimacy of scofflaw?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ZComplex

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New York

In May of 2006 in New York, I was given a speeding ticket for 42 in a 30. I pleaded not guilty and the DA mailed me a plea to an unsafe start. I never received a court summons and never followed up with the court.

Then, in 2007 I moved to North Carolina and registered for a drivers license in North Carolina. Then, in 2008 I moved to Virginia and registered for a drivers license in Virginia. So my license is in now with Virginia.

I wanted to insure that this ticket would not create any future issues, so I called up the court and they mailed me the plea and I pleaded guilty. The court justice mailed me the fines. However, it includes a Surcharge and fine to have my driving privileges restored because my license was suspended due to scofflaws. Since I have my license in VA, can they legally suspend my license and charge me these local surcharges?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:

You Are Guilty

Since I have my license in VA, can they legally suspend my license and charge me these local surcharges?
Of course they can. Why, you ask?
I never received a court summons and [highlight]never followed up with the court[/highlight].
Technically, you don't "have" to pay anything, but if your goal is to ensure it doesn't come back to haunt you... pay it. You only need to read through a few posts on this board to see what can happen. (I love the "I ignored a ticket 20 years ago and now I have no license" ones personally).

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">